Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Options

Options
  • 17-01-2016 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi
    I'm looking at the different options of heating systems in a build. Having researched I haven't come across anything conclusive on what the best system is. Our builder is recommending the air to water heat pump with the underfloor heating, I'm just wondering what the possible disadvantages are with this i.e. would possible future problems mean having to dig into the floor.
    Also, I was wondering about putting a back boiler in with a stove. Our builder has said that this wouldn't be worth our while as we wouldn't need it as the air to water pump heats plenty of water. My concern is, should the electricity go would we be totally without heating?

The house will be in a fairly high up area and can be pretty badly hit with frost and ice when we get it bad like '09/'10. Just wondering if this should be a factor if considering putting in an air to water pump as the sole heating system in the house?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I know someone with air to water heat pump and he swears by it. his house is always hot. he says its not expensive to run.

any system will cause major trauma to your house if it goes terminally wrong.

I wouldn't go for a boiler stove because if the power goes this wont work either
    I would go for a room heating stove. if its placed properly it should heat a lot of the house or make it bearably

I would wire your house so that you can plug in a generator to the system incase the power will be gone for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Air to water are used on the continent. This technology has improved a lot.
    Works well with UFH. The water for this is 55C max.
    As second step up on some air to water units now can be used to get the water for domestic use to 65C. If one thinks about it other than a shower, which could be electric , one doesn't use much hot water.
    Another way is for the air to water pump heat a well lagged large cylinder. The UFH then works on a second loop with pump to thermostat. This extra investment would allow most of your heating bill to be done on night rate electrciity.

Be sure to insulate well and seal house well also.
    On balance,I wouldn't put UFH upstairs.
    If house is sealed well I would use air exchange, even though it costs 5K. More healthy for house and occupants.
    One could install aluminium rads upstairs which work with the lower 55C, the same as UFH.

Worried about electrical failure? You could put in a dry stove. I would not run water heating off it as that needs electricity for the water pump.
    Another alternative to consider is a generator. The size of this would need to be rather large to drive the air to water system, however.

Was posted when I saw Pen Turner. Very similar thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Scobiwankenobi

Thanks a million the advice is a big help.
    In our design at the moment we have UFH included upstairs. Just wondering what are the health disadvantages to this as I have heard of it in passing before but I haven't heard anything definate!

No health disadvantages to UFH upstairs.
    Some houses put it there, others don't.
    No joints in the pipe underfloor. Use 150mm spacing, Use PEX-Al-Pex pipe. This one has an aluminium layer in the middle.
    No more than 100M in each heating loop.
    Thermostat needed to control each bedroom.
    Its the air exchange I would add to keep fresh air in a sealed house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

there are reports of health problems with UFH. it makes the blood coming back to the heart hotter than it should do.
    your feet and other extremities are used to cool down the body

if I was building a house I would put the pipes in the walls. your body has a greater surface area in the path of the heat and you are not in direct contact with the heat scource

Had not heard of that Pen Turner. Floor would be about 27C. That's 10C below body temp.
    Makes a difference from the chillblains I remember when I was young.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Scobiwankenobi

Thanks a million. Yev given me plenty to work with.

Advertisement