Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10/100 and 10/100/1000 Ethernet question

Options
  • 17-01-2016 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a laptop and found that this had everything I wanted.
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/hp-pavilion-15ab254sa-156-laptop-white/329304/406.5

However, someone more into computers than myself pointed out that it only has 10/100 Ethernet and not Gigabit Ethernet, which seems to have been the standard for like 5 years as my old laptop has it.

In the last 6 years I never plugged an Ethernet cable into my laptop and don't really intend on doing so in the future. I also don't plan on having my own local network in my house [apparently something that also uses this Ethernet network]. So is it really a problem for me that this laptop is only 10/100, as I don't think I actually need 10/100/1000

Thanks to anyone who can help me solve this situation :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I think you answered your own question :)

The laptop has everything YOU want and you have no intention of using an ethernet connection so why worry about it not having something you won't use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I think you've answered your own question. If you're never going to use gigabit ethernet with your laptop, then why pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Quandary

10/100 is completely fine, even if using a cable instead of wifi. I'm currently using an old cat5 network cable(which is limited to 10/100) with my Apple TV, purely because I couldn't be arsed buying a newer standard cable. It never causes me any hassle, no buffering of streamed HD video. My Apple TV was connected over my wifi and it was buffering for me and stuttering on occasion. Since changing to the physical cat5 network cable the problem has been eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭beaner09

Thanks everyone for answering! I had a feeling it was something I wouldn't use but thought I'd ask in case there was something I was missing!

All the other features of the laptop seem to be improved over my previous laptop (besides the lack of vga port, another thing I didn't use though) so I think I'm happy with the one I was looking at!

Thanks again guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭beaner09

Oh another question for you guys if you could please help! (It's not really worth having its own thread)

Would you suggest getting a White or Blue laptop? (Would the white change colour over time?)

Also the keyboard on the white one is White with grey surrounding it, the keyboard on the Blue one is black with grey surrounding it! (If that has any impact on your choice). Also neither keyboard is lit up!

Thanks again for any advice! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TBH I'd be surprised if it was just 10/100 as the last one I got turned out to be gigabit :)

Then again it's not really needed if you have the right router.
    http://www8.hp.com/ie/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=9093638#!tab=specs
    in theory 802.11 ac is 1.3Gb /s ,

Advertisement