Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 year olds goin playin minor

Options
  • 17-01-2016 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Is it acceptable,to be tellin 14/15 to be hittin the gym and gettin ready for a minor league?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Some county's are set up as a professional outfit and have forgotten the amateur aspects of the game.
    When money is behind some county's there is no choice for the other but to follow suit.
    The gaa needs to waken up to this and bring the whole game back to its roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Massive difference in physical development between 14/15 year old and 17 year old. Would be suprised to see many that young playing minor at a decent standard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Think it's against the rules of the game. As far as I know you cannot play any more than two age groups outside the grade you're looking to play so for minor you can't be u14 but u15 is ok as there's no u17 grade. For u14 you can't play if you're U11. That's the way it is in Kildare anyway. Having said that there's plenty of rural clubs that would play the younger lads cos they wouldn't have enough players otherwise. Have never seen a club or player penalised for it but in the event of injury I could see the club's insurance not covering said player

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Bazzers

I personnly was playin in a u16 league game last year,and I'm. About 5,2 marking a giant compared to me. standin at 6'0 plus.no comparsin under stupid high balls flyin around,be expecting something similer this yea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Think it's against the rules of the game. As far as I know you cannot play any more than two age groups outside the grade you're looking to play so for minor you can't be u14 but u15 is ok as there's no u17 grade. For u14 you can't play if you're U11. That's the way it is in Kildare anyway. Having said that there's plenty of rural clubs that would play the younger lads cos they wouldn't have enough players otherwise. Have never seen a club or player penalised for it but in the event of injury I could see the club's insurance not covering said player
    Kilmacud had a junior D championship taken away from them a few years ago for playing sixteen year old lads in an adult game, so it has been penalised, at least in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Is this a club team or county?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭randd1

Bazzers wrote: »
    Is it acceptable,to be tellin 14/15 to be hittin the gym and gettin ready for a minor league?

No.

But there are strengthening program's for young lads that they can do away from the gym, simple and short body weight exercises that don't need weights which would develop muscle more naturally with their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Once the player is not eligible for u14 they can play, and in clubs with small numbers it is common. In the last decade the GAA has brought in lower age limits for teams which should be applauded.
    Personally my view is that if a club has sufficient numbers at a particular age they should try and avoid using players from the lower age group but its not possible for many clubs to do this.

There is nothing wrong with the concept of players that age going to a gym as long as it is an age appropriate programme they are following. There are a lot worse things a 14 year old could be doing.

By comparison I think the ladies football and camogie association should be hauled in by the children's ombudsman for allowing children to compete with adults. Last month I saw a tweet from a ladies football club lauding the talents of one of their players who had won u14, u16 and senior medals last year.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Is this a club team or county?

It can't be for a co minor team as they can no longer use u16 players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

It can't be for a co minor team as they can no longer use u16 players.

really? where is that rule?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    really? where is that rule?

Passed at congress last year or even the year before

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Bazzers

Club level,any1 who's wonderin,and in this team size and strength is an issue,so any in that category was pretty much beign told beffin up,or be a sub for the most part,compared to a bigger stronger,but not as,skillful footballer compared to us smaller footballer,but imafraid that's the way its gone,an people wonder y people 13-15 quit playin at,not sayin I would I love football,any way to combat this issue or just take it on the chin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Bazzers wrote: »

depends on the player entirely.

Firstly U14 cannot play minor.
    Secondly, our club are fortunate to have 2 outstanding talents who were U15 playing minor last year. They arent told to be hitting the gym but both have farming backgrounds so are possibly stronger than a number of their counterparts.
    Thirdly, i see a large number of teenagers using our local gym in recent months both boys and girls so it seems that the kids themselves want to use a gym.

If you have a gripe about selection going for power and size over skill, generally at underage level and often up to U21 power and size will see out. It is the nature of the game. If you want to be successful and involved on winning teams then you have to give yourself the best chance possible including phyiscal development if that is where your weakness is

Advertisement