Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which book on famine would make a good film?

Options
  • 16-01-2016 8:35pm

In terms of calamitous historical events, many very good and even great films have been produced, often adapted from a literary source. 12 Years a Slave was adapted from Solomon Northup's memoir of the same name.

Schindler's List was adapted from Thomas Kenneally's novel Schindler's Ark, which was based-on-fact.

Is there a book about the Irish famine of 1845 to 1852 that you think could be adapted into a great film?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

I haven't read much on it - and I don't know if there's much available - but one book I found interesting (until I left it in the basket of a Dublin Bike, much to my chagrin, when half way through) was the diaries of Elizabeth Smith of Baltyboys, The Highland Lady in Ireland. It may have only touched on the subject but would probably be filmable given the interest in period dramas and the main subject matter of upper class life. A movie focussing just on the peasants might be too grim for an international audience. This book gave a good insight into the lives of the tenantry though, albeit in a slightly condescending, upper-class manner. Wicklow wouldn't have been the worst-hit location, but was still impacted .

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

There was a great TV series called the Hanging Gale made 20 years ago with yer man from Foyle's War as a landlord and yer one from The Snapper as his housemaid. The whole story centred on a family who are evicted and sent to the workhouse during the Famine. The father hangs himself his son is shot by the militia another son and his grandson die of starvation another son who is a school teacher is hanged as a rebel and a murderer after he shoots the landlord and the youngest son runs off to America with his brother's wife. Yet another son who is a priest loses his faith in God after the tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Technically not during the Famine but I'd love to see Mamtrasna, The Murders turned into a film.

Also, under the Hawthorn Tree.

Technically not during the Famine but I'd love to see Mamtrasna, The Murders turned into a film.

Also, under the Hawthorn Tree.

Under The Hawthorn Tree was made into a TV series I believe.

There was a great TV series called the Hanging Gale made 20 years ago with yer man from Foyle's War as a landlord and yer one from The Snapper as his housemaid. The whole story centred on a family who are evicted and sent to the workhouse during the Famine. The father hangs himself his son is shot by the militia another son and his grandson die of starvation another son who is a school teacher is hanged as a rebel and a murderer after he shoots the landlord and the youngest son runs off to America with his brother's wife. Yet another son who is a priest loses his faith in God after the tragedy.

Sounds very interesting.

I've just reserved it from my local library - thanks for the tip!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The first part of Leon Uris's Trinity is about the Famine - book is quite vast in scope as it then goes down the generations of 3 families and up to the Easter Rising.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sounds very interesting.

I've just reserved it from my local library - thanks for the tip!

It's very well acted with decent production values and a great story line.

Everything that that the recent Rebellion did not have unfortunately.

If I am not mistaken I think it was specially written for the 150 anniversary of the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

I'd love to see Joseph O'Connor's "Star of the Sea" made into a good film or mini series.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

I've read all of those mentioned above but the book I think would take best to being dramatised is The Silent People by Walter Macken.

By the way, The Hanging Gale had all the glorious McCann brothers in it, if you needed any more incentive to get the DVD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Thomas_..

In terms of calamitous historical events, many very good and even great films have been produced, often adapted from a literary source. 12 Years a Slave was adapted from Solomon Northup's memoir of the same name.

Schindler's List was adapted from Thomas Kenneally's novel Schindler's Ark, which was based-on-fact.

Is there a book about the Irish famine of 1845 to 1852 that you think could be adapted into a great film?

Whatever the book, whatever the author, the story is a very sad and grimm one and such would be any film made about the Famine. But on the other hand, Irish history is full of such sad stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

Thomas_.. wrote: »
    Whatever the book, whatever the author, the story is a very sad and grimm one and such would be any film made about the Famine. But on the other hand, Irish history is full of such sad stories.

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

(G.K. Chesterton)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Thomas_..

Ascendant wrote: »
    “The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

(G.K. Chesterton)

Now that´s some interesting quotation indeed. Thanks for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 annandalice

I've read all of those mentioned above but the book I think would take best to being dramatised is The Silent People by Walter Macken.

By the way, The Hanging Gale had all the glorious McCann brothers in it, if you needed any more incentive to get the DVD!

Yes, I think the The Silent People was a brilliant book and would make a great film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Under The Hawthorn Tree was made into a TV series I believe.

It was made as a kids' movie in Kilkenny and is available on DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

edbrez wrote: »
    It was made as a kids' movie in Kilkenny and is available on DVD.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303170/

Advertisement