Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony VAIO Laptop unable to connect to a new wifi router

Options
  • 16-01-2016 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hello,
    I have a Sony VAIO Laptop vgn-nr383 for quite a few years, until recently it was a Vodafone internet mobile modem that I was using to use the internet in it. Recently got a wifi router in the house and I'm at a loss at this stage to get the internet to work for me. Could anyone please guide me on the steps to take. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling on device manager but to no avail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Is the WiFi on the laptop turned on?

Can you pickup the wireless network?

If yes have you entered the key on the back of the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dougalbear

mordeith wrote: »
    Is the WiFi on the laptop turned on?

Can you pickup the wireless network?

If yes have you entered the key on the back of the router?

Hi Mordeith,
    Thank you for taking the time to assist. The wifi of the laptop is turned on, when I try to connect there is no sign of the router on the connect to options.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,513 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there a WIFI or network icon at the bottom right of the screen near the clock? Clicking on this should give either a list of WIFI locations available or let you run a scan for them.

dougalbear wrote: »
    Hi Mordeith,
    Thank you for taking the time to assist. The wifi of the laptop is turned on, when I try to connect there is no sign of the router on the connect to options.

It's possible the laptop has a WiFi card using an older incompatible witless protocol than that of the new router. I'm not fully versed in this but some of the other lads here should know. I'm assuming other devices can connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's possible the laptop has a WiFi card using an older incompatible witless protocol than that of the new router. I'm not fully versed in this but some of the other lads here should know. I'm assuming other devices can connect?
    That laptop supports 802.11 a,b,g and n so it should be ok, unless they've ever been disabled.

OP can other defines connect to the router? What settings did you use when you set up the wireless network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390 / 1.86 GHz ( Dual-Core )
    Memory: 2GB Installed (4GB max) DDR2 SDRAM - PC2 -4200 (2 x 1GB)
    Wireless LAN 802.11b/g 160GB
    Hard Disk Drive: SATA 5400 RPM
    Screen: 15.4'' TFT 1280x800 (WXGA) - X-Black
    Intel GMA X3100 Graphics controller

Might be time to start saving a few pennies for a new machine.

Wireless unit in that unit is ancient, like the laptop itself, doesnt support .11N.

Potential causes:
    1. 3rd Party Wifi Utility, Common with XP
    2. Cant support Wireless N, allowing this to work will slow all other devices in the house severely
    3. Router is using CH12 or CH13 and sony is regioned for 1-11 only. Setting on router will fix this.

Even if you do get it to connect itll force the router to go into slow mode to allow it stay connect (like trying to run a marathon with a toddler holding your hand), a new wifi card would sort this but I wouldnt invest any money in a machine so old.

I got the icon back to the two small over lapping screens and when you run the mouse over them it states currently connected to wireless network connection and signal strength excellent. I am guessing if I bring the Laptop to a repairs shop there will not be much they can do for me

Thank you to all for taking the time to help. I have no understanding of laptops in terms of troubleshooting. I guess it is time to pack it up, it served me well for so many years. Alternative option would be to top up my Vodafone modem now and again to send my c.v as I cannot afford the money for a new laptop. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Thank you to all for taking the time to help. I have no understanding of laptops in terms of troubleshooting. I guess it is time to pack it up, it served me well for so many years. Alternative option would be to top up my Vodafone modem now and again to send my c.v as I cannot afford the money for a new laptop. Thanks guys.
    Are you sure it's not the router before you spend money? Can other devices connect?

I got the icon back to the two small over lapping screens and when you run the mouse over them it states currently connected to wireless network connection and signal strength excellent. I am guessing if I bring the Laptop to a repairs shop there will not be much they can do for me

You should be able to click on the network icon you describe above which will prompt you to enter the key

• Advertisement
Advertisement