Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring your gear for a holiday?

Options
  • 16-01-2016 3:57pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm off to Brazil soon - I hear all the stories of it being dangerous but I know I'd regret it if I did not bring my camera. I'm going to get travel insurance but I'm wondering does anyone know of any companies that would insure about 3k's worth of camera?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm off to Brazil soon - I hear all the stories of it being dangerous but I know I'd regret it if I did not bring my camera. I'm going to get travel insurance but I'm wondering does anyone know of any companies that would insure about 3k's worth of camera?

Chill should cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

try http://www.camerainsurance.ie/ , they are part of the O'Loughlin Insurance Group based in swords and who I have my cover with. You also get a discount for mentioning boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Zascar wrote: »

Zascar we only do annual policies for photographers and not once off policies for people traveling I'm afraid at camerainsurance.ie .

Make sure whoever you go with that your equipment is specified and they have confirmed that your trip abroad to Brazil is covered . Also check what excess is on the cover.

Feel free to give me a call in the office on Monday if you have any questions.

Derek.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Look at the policy for your normal house contents insurance. It will often cover items normally in the house which are removed temporarily. Just make sure it covers taking it out of the country and the amount for individual unspecified items and the limit for sets of items and the excess.

Travel insurance varies but good policies will also items such as camera gear. There are limits for items as above. There can also be exclusions, like items not being covered if left in a car over night etc.

If the cover offered by the above options in not adequate then ask for the price to add some specified items to the policy. This will usually be a lot cheaper than taking out separate insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Related question. Has anyone here ever had a successful claim for lost, stolen or damaged camera equipment and were they happy with the outcome?
    Please don't mention insurance company name.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks guys, I got a decent quote from blue insurances - I just have to check before going ahead

Advertisement