Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surge protector recommendation

Options
  • 16-01-2016 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭

Im looking for a recommendation for a decent surge protector if anyone has knowledge of these things.

I have 2 lads here at home and one has recently built his own PC and both of them just bought a PS4 console. Add to that the usual TV, Sky box, DVD player etc its certainly worth protecting these items.

Another quick question. If you have a surge protector plugged into the wall socket can you then run an ordinary extension lead from it and still be protected against spikes in current?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

muffler wrote:
    Another quick question. If you have a surge protector plugged into the wall socket can you then run an ordinary extension lead from it and still be protected against spikes in current?

Yes you can. but some are better than others .
    However there are some units now that you can add to your consumer unit. Hagar do them, there's a couple of threads here on them if you searched.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You can spend as much as you want on surge / spike protectors but basically you are buying one of these in an expensive plastic box.

Unless you are worried about lightning strikes (in which case, forget it, nothing affordable can protect you) then one of these wired between the live incoming bar and neutral will do as good a job as any.

http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/metal-oxide-varistors/2042141/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Steve wrote: »
    You can spend as much as you want on surge / spike protectors but basically you are buying one of these in an expensive plastic box.
    Perhaps, but they aren't on the market for just looking good so Im going to disagree with you on this one Steve......see below.

Unless you are worried about lightning strikes (in which case, forget it, nothing affordable can protect you)
    This is exactly what I am afraid of and why Im looking for a decent one. Just over a year ago we had a bad lightning storm here and a 40" telly and a PS3 were fried. They were in the same room as a Sky box, PC, Xbox and DVD player but the telly and PS3 were the only 2 items NOT plugged into a surge protector therefore I think that speaks volumes of the need for a protector. A local sparky confirmed all this for me btw.

then one of these wired between the live incoming bar and neutral will do as good a job as any.

http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/metal-oxide-varistors/2042141/
    Good man, that is something I shall certainly look into. Appreciate the help auld fella ;):D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Anything will be better than nothing..

If you look at the science behind lightning, in can deliver about a billion joules per microsecond. A single strike can deliver 10% of the entire country's annual electricity usage.

All I'm saying is nothing can protect against that, the figures are mind blowing - it can turn air into plasma, the only other place that happens is in the outer layer of the sun.
    You can trust me, I'm an auld lad as well :D

Advertisement