Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use "photographer" word to describe myself?

Options
  • 16-01-2016 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Simple question:
    What makes me a photographer? I mean, can i tell to people that I am a photographer?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yep. There are only a few trades in Ireland you can't call yourself - Garda, solicitor, judge ... but anyone can call themselves a photographer.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

If you take photographs then you are a photographer - good, bad or otherwise. It's not a professional title as such (correct me if I'm wrong). Perhaps it depends more on who you're speaking to and what their expectations of a photographer might be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suppose the question you're asking may depend on the context. calling yourself a photographer (which is perfectly legit if you practice photography) may imply to some people that you're a pro. if you're worried that people may misunderstand you, 'amateur photographer' may be a better term to use?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah agree with Magic, it could be misleading depending on context. A bit like saying you're a fisherman but work in accounting and occasionally do some mackerel fishing.

In what context are you intending to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭killym

humberklog wrote: »
    Yeah agree with Magic, it could be misleading depending on context. A bit like saying you're a fisherman but work in accounting and occasionally do some mackerel fishing.

In what context are you intending to use it?

Well... Let say im able to do some decent business photos...i have no business portfolio yet but still i need to talk to the potentional customers anyways:)

But my question was more to whole photographers community...I've seen many of bad pictures taken by people who call themselves a photographers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

killym wrote: »
    Well... Let say im able to do some decent business photos...i have no business portfolio yet but still i need to talk to the potentional customers anyways:)
    Photographer is not a protected term so pretty much anybody who takes pictures can call themselves a photographer.
    In the context of dealing with potential clients calling yourself a photographer would infer that you had a certain level of knowledge and the ability to deliver on you promise.
    But my question was more to whole photographers community...I've seen many of bad pictures taken by people who call themselves a photographers.
    Calling yourself a photographer or even a professional photographer does not mean you will deliver great results, just that you can sell what you deliver, and many people can sell crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Anyone who takes Photographs is a Photographer.

To be a Professional Photographer it means that you are selling those photographs, though to many there is an implied expectation of quality.

Then you get into other qualifying terms like "accredited" or "qualified". These terms mean that you have reached a standard set by peers or by a formal course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

killym wrote: »

Sounds like you have a unique and original business model there.

So let me get this right you are promoting yourself as a "photographer" amongst the business community?

You want to "talk" to them, explaining what "decent business photos" you can produce, without showing them samples of related work?

Then you want them to give you an order and get paid?

A small piece of advice, self-produce a proper portfolio and stop been a time waster!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

I would agree that it depends on the context and the implication.

I would call myself a photographer, but if I was hanging out with a bunch of portrait or wedding photographers I would make clear that I consider myself a nature photographer because I would be next to useless doing what they do.

Advertisement