Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV Galway closing down sale up to 70% off

Options
  • 16-01-2016 2:53pm

Just passed by HMV in Edward Square and they have a big closing down sign up that says that there is up to 70% off.

There was a lot of 50 and 60% off stickers but the only 70% off things I saw were some DVDs reduced from 10€ to 3€ and I think there might have been some games at 70% off too. One of the employees told me that there will be more reductions closer to the end of the month

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just passed by HMV in Edward Square and they have a big closing down sign up that says that there is up to 70% off.

There was a lot of 50 and 60% off stickers but the only 70% off things I saw were some DVDs reduced from 10€ to 3€ and I think there might have been some games at 70% off too. One of the employees told me that there will be more reductions closer to the end of the month

same in xtravision headford road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Lol they're closing again? They only just reopened after closing down across the street.

They hardly had any computer games since they reopened so I've never bought anything there.

By the way regarding extravision, I think all the Galway ones are closing, the Knocknacarra one has the same signs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Macer123

Lol they're closing again?

Not a laughing matter for the Staff I'd say !!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Was in there on Saturday. Nothing of real interest. Surprised they are closing. Good location!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

God that's crazy they are always so busy in Edward Square !
    The sale in the Headford road shop was ok. 10 for 10 on blu-rays but the selection was crap.
    Games were 50% off but they had games like Evolve at prices of 40 euro down to 20 when it was 10 before Christmas.
    Must check the Vinyl though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good location for an obsolete business model. Stupid prices like HMV are suicide in this day and age. I was in Dundrum shopping center on a Saturday the other day, Dundrum completely packed, HMV empty, a few people browsing, nobody buying anything, €15-20 for an album people could have downloaded to their phone in the time it took to go up to the till and pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Xtravision in Douglas village, Cork are shutting too. They tell me they'll be gone by the 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

Thargor wrote: »
    Good location for an obsolete business model. Stupid prices like HMV are suicide in this day and age. I was in Dundrum shopping center on a Saturday the other day, Dundrum completely packed, HMV empty, a few people browsing, nobody buying anything, €15-20 for an album people could have downloaded to their phone in the time it took to go up to the till and pay for it.

Exactly.. Even checking their online store, €69.99 for Fifa15!!! €75 for Fifa16
    Shame to not have a bricks and mortor store to go to now, but since it reopened even their 2nd hand games are overpriced and cost as much as a new game online..

Feel bad for the staff. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭RayCon

I was in Dundrum shopping center on a Saturday the other day,

Bet you it was a Saturday ...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

As someone who likes to browse the merchandise, HMV Dundrum must the most awful music store I have ever been in. Basically, it is a corridor from the rear stairs by the cinemas into the mall. It is nigh impossible to browse anything in comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The one on Grafton Street, Dublin is closing down to relocate apparently, despite the fact it only just moved there from across the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Extra vision is gone in Shannon,it's still doing well in Ennis though.

I think the one in Ennis is the only place in Clare you can buy cd's now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

jimgoose wrote: »
    Xtravision in Douglas village, Cork are shutting too. They tell me they'll be gone by the 21st.

I took a look at their "sale". No wonder they are closing down given how high the prices were for boxsets and games. People are not stupid and will not pay those prices. No loss tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭cycling is fun

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

maybe people should stick to commenting to the bargains...
    rather then comments.... no wonder they are closing down. people are losing their jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Maybe it's look needs to change,some sort of new marketing strategy.

If I was walking down a street and heard some good music pumping from an outside speaker it would draw me in,also the rustic look on the exterior and interior of a music shop draws people in.

Something nostalgic and inviting,almost like someone's sitting room.

Gone are the day's of clinical looking shop's,bring back the gramaphone,decks,CD players....
    Somewhere you can listen before you buy.

The new generation never had what people in their 40's had....

As moloko says "bring it back"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Terrible idea. They'll be out of business completely after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

I'm just watch the tv 6 o'clock news, it reporting that xtra vision are closing today.

Is that going to be all the stores nationwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

All storrs, xtravison that is, are all closed today. Don't think they are reopening even for liquidation sale.

Advertisement