Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car insurance after losing no claims bonus

Options
  • 16-01-2016 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Guys,
    I am not sure how constructive this post will be but if nothing else I can vent my frustration with insurers - arrrgggh!!

So I am 30 years of age. I have 8 years driving experience with no claims. I had 5 years no claims bonus but sold my car and drove a bike for the bones of the last 2 years.
    As a result my no claims bonus has disappeared, because I haven't had a policy in my name for the last two years. Admittedly I don't actually know if my no claims bonus would have transferred across to the motorcycle but even if it did, I dropped it in the ice last winter so that avenue is not an option. Perhaps someone can clarify this anyway.

Now that I have been trying to get back into my own car, I am finding it difficult to get an insurance quote that isn't more than 3x what I was paying before.

I used to have my insurance with Aviva but now they won't even quote me as I've not had a policy in two years and thus have lost my no claims bonus. It seems many other insurers are exactly the same. The ones that actually do offer a quote are to the tune of 1500 - 4000!
    Is it just me or is this policy that most insurers have ridiculous?
    Why is it such? I have not forgotten how to drive. In fact I am still regularly in a rental car.
    Where did this two year business come from anyway?!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My car insurance went up 50% this year although it had gotten very low. If you can get insurance for €1500 then you aren't doing so bad considering you haven't paid car insurance for two years, which averages it at €500 based on the savings for this year and thew last year had you continued paying.

By not paying you've lost your bonus advantage, what's the point of having a bonus if you aren't paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mentaaal

My car insurance went up 50% this year although it had gotten very low. If you can get insurance for €1500 then you aren't doing so bad considering you haven't paid car insurance for two years, which averages it at €500 based on the savings for this year and thew last year had you continued paying.

By not paying you've lost your bonus advantage, what's the point of having a bonus if you aren't paying?

Well I wouldn't have thought of it in terms of not paying insurance. I would have thought of it in terms of not having having had a car and not having had a claim. It is called no claims bonus after all. Its frustrating that my history of driving seems to be not taken into account anymore. I may as well have actually had a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

http://www.thejournal.ie/car-insurance-returning-2052805-Apr2015/

Its another sharp practice by insurance companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Aviva, as your last insurer, are obliged to offer you a quotation. Go to a broker, who will remind them of this as well as contacting other insurers on your behalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Call 25plus.ie, try Britton insurance, coverinaclick.ie and Kennco. These companies tend to be a lot cheaper. There is a good thread in the motor section with people listing their insurance details eg car, NCB, license etc and the quote/ company they got it from.If you look at it. The same companies constantly pop up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭billyhead

What about Boxmo. They quote very low priced premiums. Are they worth contacting for the OP or are they a gimmick. I have heard negative and somewhat positive reviews about them

Advertisement