Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floodlight spec for small back garden?

Options
  • 15-01-2016 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭

What would people recommend for a back garden floodlight, mainly for security?
    The garden is about 11m long from the back wall of the house and about 8m wide.
    I would like a PIR that can reliably sense as far as the shed door 10m away.
    I'd like it to be bright enough to reach the back wall.
    I'm thinking along the lines of 30W LED, 120 deg, IP65.
    My budget is about €120.
    I would like to get a Steinel but the only model that comes close to my budget is a 12W IP44.
    ROBUS would match my budget, while well within my budget are a range of cheaper brands such as CROMPTON, RED ARROW, DELTECH.
    It's looking like I'll get the ROBUS which has a claimed PIR range of 12m.
    Does anyone have any suggestions/corrections/alternatives?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just to update what I decided in the end.
    I went for the Steinel for reliability and a trustworthy, long PIR range.
    Nearly everything else seemed to be a European branded Chinese manufactured light.
    Although Chinese quality is now excellent for many items, all Flood Light reviews raised concerns about their quality control.

The XLED seemed a bit low on lumens (920) but the next one up is nearly 1500. I managed to get it for €114 delivered
    http://www.amazon.de/dp/B008YE46V8/ref=pe_386171_38075861_TE_item

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Is that not expensive when you can get lights for €15 or a little under?
    Can you post an image of how clear it is when you have it up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭josip

PeteK* wrote: »
    Is that not expensive when you can get lights for €15 or a little under?
    Can you post an image of how clear it is when you have it up and running?

Will do.
    Yes €115 was at the limit of the budget and I wouldn't consider it cheap either.
    The cheapest flood light with a (claimed) 10m+ PIR and 1000lm+ that I could find was around €30 but most reviews for that said they don't last a year and that the claimed PIR range was only that, a claim.
    I've spent probably 8 hours in total researching options for this, so it would have been a waste of that time to get something I'd probably have to replace in a few months. There was so much uncertainty about almost every flood light brand, that I decided to remove that uncertaintly in the end and go with Steinel.

And it's not that expensive, considering that my 3 month old, €900 bike was stolen from the garden shed a few weeks ago :)

Advertisement