Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completely Self-Sufficient in Ireland ?

Options
  • 15-01-2016 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I know this is a question that is very wide in scope, but I would nonetheless like to get some perspectives from other members here.

Do you think it is possible to go completely off-grid and become self-sufficient to a high degree here in the wilds of Ireland, through a combination of foraging, planting and fishing ? I have been looking into a remote location in the mountains of Connemara, but I really do not know to what degree one could sustain oneself, as I am still missing knowledge of what edible plants/food items are actually available. Energy is not that much of an issue, as I believe it can be done quite well with a combination of solar, wind and water, at least on a small scale.

I am aware that complete self-sufficiency is probably not realistic, especially in terms of food, but I am wondering as to how independent one could really become. It's easy to have some romantic notion of living off the land, but in reality this is hard, and involves lots of daily labour, and in-depth knowledge of the environment here. Never mind the legal and logistical difficulties at the moment, I am just trying to get a feel for whether the overall concept would be workable in the more remote parts of Ireland.

Also, does anybody know of anyone who actually does live completely off-grid in the wild, anywhere here in Ireland ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

One of the biggest problems is the amount of labour required for certain things. I suspect a small enough grouping could be self sufficient in certain areas of the country, but it would be impractical for a family or single person.

Shelter from wind and water and heat requirements are going to be a lot higher in Connemara / Donegal / Beara than in, say, the midlands which is another problem with going very remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I dont think its something that will be an easy task but if your looking at buying a bit of land you could put a "shed" on it and start from there maybe as a weekend/free time retreat and go from there maybe plant a garden growing a few bits. Many animals around for hunting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The hero of "The Good Life" John Seymour lived in Ireland for a few years before moving back to his farm in Pembrokeshire.

btw found a FULL pdf of his The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency here

I think of the book in these terms, its a bit like someone showing you a magic trick just because you know how its done doesn't mean you can do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 markushanke

aaakev wrote: »
    I dont think its something that will be an easy task but if your looking at buying a bit of land you could put a "shed" on it and start from there maybe as a weekend/free time retreat and go from there maybe plant a garden growing a few bits. Many animals around for hunting?

I agree, that lifestyle does not come out of nowhere to someone who has never done it before. Plenty of trial runs required ! And yes, I had something along those lines in mind :)
    my3cents wrote:
    I think of the book in these terms, its a bit like someone showing you a magic trick just because you know how its done doesn't mean you can do it yourself.

That is brilliant, thank you very much !
    L1011 wrote:
    Shelter from wind and water and heat requirements are going to be a lot higher in Connemara / Donegal / Beara than in, say, the midlands which is another problem with going very remote.

Yes, that's right. I think an initial investment is required - you need a good, solid dwelling that keeps out the elements, and takes care of most of your energy requirements ( think solar, wind, water ). The good old log cabin in the woods is a romantic ideal, but in reality probably very impractical in a place like Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I would forget foraging and fishing and look more at milk and potato diet with some fish and a pig as an addition. it worked for people in the old days and the milk and potato s meant to be a nutritionally complete.

the only draw back is that with animals come legal responsibilities which might not be what on off gridder wants.

If you have the land already I would say give it a go for a weekend then a week have a look at planting native edible plants around the property and see how you get on.

sounds cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

sheesh wrote: »

the only draw back is that with animals come legal responsibilities which might not be what on off gridder wants.

Legal responsibilities like registration of animals etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

I would imagine that if I was to go completely off grid (which I think is near impossible but yet I dream about everyday) I would do it in a remote enough area that I wouldn't be arsed with calf animal registrations etc.

However, I couldn't see myself keeping a lot of animals and would much rather choose a location that would provide fish, venison and rabbit. This along with a sustainable vegetable plot and some foraging would give me all I'd need, like I say, it's a good dream.

I have located an area that could possibly provide enough for me to survive but I think the it would be a lot better to build my log/timber cabin and use it as a well needed retreat for a couple of weeks in the year.

Has anybody done this, I'd love a few pictures of other peoples retreats in the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Legal responsibilities like registration of animals etc?

cows and the like need to be registered afaik especially if they are going into the food chain they all have to have ear tags so you need a herd number, they would also have to be slaughtered at a registered abbatoir (I THINK!)

I'd say you could keep rabbits and chickens for food easily enough to eat (rabbit is nice)

I am also thinking of an exit strategy, if it goes tits up and the op just wants to go back to city life getting rid of a cow would be alot easier if you could just sell it which you probably not do easily if it was not registered.

friend of mine woke up one morning and found 3 sheep in a field he owns within in 24 hours one was dead the other 2 were on their last legs

€75 per sheep is what he had to pay to get rid of them legally (rendering plant)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Smallholding information and resources here.

http://www.smallholding.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

How many people do you think it would take to have a small self sufficient community surviving in Ireland? Could 2 people do it successfully?

I find it hard to image the entire work load that would be involved, from harvesting firewood, vegetables, meat prep and storage, animal rearing and feeding etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You'd be at it non-stop. You'd want a spread of skills; animal husbandry, firewood, plumbing, carpentry, welding, gardening, selling (farmers markets etc.), labouring, tech skills (youtube channel, blog, get your message out to the world and a few shekels back in return). 12v electrical.

And so on.

You need an income stream to cover your costs however small they may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Tabnabs wrote: »
    You'd be at it non-stop. You'd want a spread of skills; animal husbandry, firewood, plumbing, carpentry, welding, gardening, selling (farmers markets etc.), labouring, tech skills (youtube channel, blog, get your message out to the world and a few shekels back in return). 12v electrical.

And so on.

You need an income stream to cover your costs however small they may be.

Dole?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If that's your solution then self sufficiency isn't your gig...

Tabnabs wrote: »
    If that's your solution then self sufficiency isn't your gig...

Thanks, I'll quit then

Thanks, I'll quit then

No don't do that, stick it out on your government sponsored self sufficiency course.

my3cents wrote: »
    No don't do that, stick it out on your government sponsored self sufficiency course.

haha love it lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Presuming by self-sufficiency you mean having all the comforts of modern living and absolutely no outgoings.

I'd imagine you'd need substantial capital to get started, firstly your house would need to be insulated to the nines to be as passive as possible.
    You'd need sufficient solar/wind generators and storage capacity.
    You'd need sufficient land for farming and livestock.
    You'd need a well.
    You'd need the skills and cash to implement all the above.

I'd say its very doable. My parents are retiring to the country and we have plans to set them up in a similar manner to keep the bills down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dole?

Youtube channel gets found, "did not make themselves available for work" gets stamped on the file and you're sent on every FAS course going for 40 hours a week a 4 hour bus trip away. Having a profile of any description on the dole doesn't work anymore.

L1011 wrote: »
    Youtube channel gets found, "did not make themselves available for work" gets stamped on the file and you're sent on every FAS course going for 40 hours a week a 4 hour bus trip away. Having a profile of any description on the dole doesn't work anymore.

I don't have a youtube channel (or ever intend to).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My take on this.. I lived nine years on a small Orkney Island. I had hens, geese, ducks, peacocks, 2 Jacobs sheep and a goat. I never had to buy eggs or milk or cheese. I grew all my own vegetables also. Spun wool. For fuel, I bought peat. A load or three each year and of course had electricity. Flowers in abundance.. I eat little meat but the first years had a lamb from neighbours and sometimes fresh fish from another. It is a matter of degree is it not? And of some giving to the needs of others. Always had to but flour and coffee etc... Yes hard work but good in its own way. Now I do far less being older and less able and needing to use time and energy to help the basic needs of others. Self sufficiency can be too much self for me... when I first came to Ireland I had a poly tunnel and grew amazing veg... very little now but I eat less. Needs thinking through and not "just" from the practical.

• Advertisement

Thanks for this thread as it got me thinking! Really I still live as simply and as far from the more " civilised" aspects of modern life which is what i think folk are trying to attain. I live alone in a remote farmhouse. While I have the utilities is is on my terms to reduce contact with the hyped up world out there. Mo TV or radio and no phone anyone can contact me on. I rent and the house has a private water supply and else live very simply something I learned in island days when there was one boat a day weather permitting. I think living a while as i did then affects you and changes you. For some, they will as fast as possible leave that life in every way. For others, like me, we change how we live permanently. It is the attitude to life as much as the practicalities.. treasuring every resource and using everything, I gather all I can still.... not bought firewood ever; beaches for driftwood etc and wild fruit...

L1011 wrote: »

A pension works although being older can be a handicap!

eeguy wrote: »
    Presuming by self-sufficiency you mean having all the comforts of modern living and absolutely no outgoings.

I'd imagine you'd need substantial capital to get started, firstly your house would need to be insulated to the nines to be as passive as possible.
    You'd need sufficient solar/wind generators and storage capacity.
    You'd need sufficient land for farming and livestock.
    You'd need a well.
    You'd need the skills and cash to implement all the above.

I'd say its very doable. My parents are retiring to the country and we have plans to set them up in a similar manner to keep the bills down.

Wonder is it was ever seen as "all the comforts"? For me frugality and simplicity were the major part.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

If you go completely self sufficent ot as close as electricity is not my first issue id be concerned with. A makeshift wind turbine could be made with little fuss and a bank of batteries for less than €1000 and be quite effecient given our climate and abundance of wind. If your going self sufficent your not going to be inside all day watching telly making microwav popcorn charging your smart phone like a mad man cus your on twitter like an addict. Food and water would be my first priority and heat. A small farmstead in ireland would be my answer to this. Geowing your own food taising your own animals and as a farmers son its not rocket science. A wide range of crops which can make a profit if aild to your local buchers along with meat and the bucher can handle the killing and handling of the carcas's. So theres your food. Heat well buy an axe and keep your eye out for fallen trees or chop some down on your own land. Plant more too. Theres your heat. Water. Well all houses have roofs and a lot of water falls from the sky so harvest it and construct a biosand water filter and maybe fork out money for a ceramic filter too just to make sure and you have an unlimited supply if what you need. Then your onto power. As mentioned a wind turbine is probably best given the abundance of wind. A large bank if batteries that can be added to over time to run basics like water pumps lighting etc. a self sufficent farm type dwelling is very doable if you have the right mindset and a small bit of capital to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Do you think it is possible to go completely off-grid and become self-sufficient to a high degree here in the wilds of Ireland.

Is anywhere in Ireland truly remote enough to go completely off-grid, though? I've often wondered this (usually while re-reading "The Zombie Survival Guide") and I usually come to the conclusion that the country is just too small - we just don't have any large, uninhabited areas.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on this but really, is there anywhere in Ireland that you aren't within a 15 minute drive of another person?

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Is anywhere in Ireland truly remote enough to go completely off-grid, though? I've often wondered this (usually while re-reading "The Zombie Survival Guide") and I usually come to the conclusion that the country is just too small - we just don't have any large, uninhabited areas.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on this but really, is there anywhere in Ireland that you aren't within a 15 minute drive of another person?

I think you can be self sufficient here and don't need to be 100's of miles from your nearest neighbor. We could easily not speak to anyone for months if we didn't want to. Its up to the individual as to the barriers they need between them and others. You could be self sufficient yet still sell produce at the farm gate and for that you'd want a passing trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Another reason not to be too remote is one could barter with others.

my3cents wrote:
    I think you can be self sufficient here and don't need to be 100's of miles from your nearest neighbor. We could easily not speak to anyone for months if we didn't want to. Its up to the individual as to the barriers they need between them and others. You could be self sufficient yet still sell produce at the farm gate and for that you'd want a passing trade.

I was more thinking about the "completely off-grid" aspect that the OP mentioned.

Maybe I'm taking it too literally but to me off-grid means more than just being self-sufficient/not using state utilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I was more thinking about the "completely off-grid" aspect that the OP mentioned.

Maybe I'm taking it too literally but to me off-grid means more than just being self-sufficient/not using state utilities.

You can be off grid and living in a town, provided you can supply all your own utilities.

• Advertisement

eeguy wrote: »
    You can be off grid and living in a town, provided you can supply all your own utilities.

As I said, to me "completely off-grid" implies more than not using state utilities.

Advertisement