Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buzzards being shot

Options
  • 15-01-2016 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

hi guys I was out shooting pigeons for a farmer yesterday when the farmer approached me and told me he had seen a guy shoot a buzzard recently. I asked him if he knew the guy but he didn't know his name but he described him and I know exactly who it was. The guy in question isn't what I'd call a friend but has helped me out a lot with different things. I'd love to report him but I have no solid proof so what does one do? I wouldn't care if it was my brother I'd still report him!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Contact NPWS and they will investigate. Just tell them you want your name kept out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

This Shiite really gets my blood boiling.
    No need for it for one and two it gives us all a really bad name . Makes all of us out to be a group that kills everything no matter what it is . Report him . Sooner more lads are reported for this behaviour the better . Should be fined and lose their licence over it . Make an example out of him

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

I totally agree with you I'm an avid shooter and even more of a bird of prey conservationist and have done more for buzzards and kites than I'll mention here. so believe me he will be reported. I love shooting whether I shoot anything or not I love being out and about. And all the persecution by so called sportsmen is just disgusting I just want to know the authorities will actually do something coz from past experience I think their hands are tied

NPWS will certainly follow it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Contact the Golden Eagle Trust too and you will get further guidance on how to proceed.

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Contact the Golden Eagle Trust too and you will get further guidance on how to proceed.

Honestly, there is no need. NPWS are the state body there to deal with this, and they will do so. Keep it simple. They are the body with the legal means, so go straight to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

cd07 wrote: »
    I totally agree with you I'm an avid shooter and even more of a bird of prey conservationist and have done more for buzzards and kites than I'll mention here. so believe me he will be reported. I love shooting whether I shoot anything or not I love being out and about. And all the persecution by so called sportsmen is just disgusting I just want to know the authorities will actually do something coz from past experience I think their hands are tied

Maybe you would let us know how things turn out, if positive it might encourage others to be more proactive..

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

I will of course. hopefully the authorities take it as seriously as we all would. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Unless you have seen them actually shoot the bird they can't be charged.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

That is unfortunately very likely to be the case. That being said it shouldn't put you off reporting it to the authorities - it's important to make them aware of it because it might help with a similar incident in the future. Those who break the law once are unfortunately very likely to keep doing it.

• Advertisement

True and if I seen someone do it I'd find it hard to not go do something about it other than ringing npws. There's animals that are allowed t be hunted or controlled and there's animals that are simply a no go area.
    Obey the rules and law <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Give his details to npws, they cant prosecute him, hopefully they'll interview him and it might stop him doing it again...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Markcheese wrote: »
    Give his details to npws, they cant prosecute him, hopefully they'll interview him and it might stop him doing it again...

Exactly, when they realize they are being watched, a lot of these cowboys start behaving rather than risk being charged and/or losing their gun license.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Not necessarily. The shooter when questioned may admit to shooting the buzzard.

Also the farmer or other witness may be in a position to make a relevant witness statement.

Not necessarily. The shooter when questioned may admit to shooting the buzzard.

Also the farmer or other witness may be in a position to make a relevant witness statement.

Either way nothing will be done about it. Because basically no one will follow up on it because it's a buzzards and they're everywhere
    I'd love to see someone being properly prosecuted for it. But if they don't then it'll continue to happen

Either way nothing will be done about it. Because basically no one will follow up on it because it's a buzzards and they're everywhere
    I'd love to see someone being properly prosecuted for it. But if they don't then it'll continue to happen

That is a totally false statement and unfounded. If the incident is reported to NPWS it will most certainly be fully followed up on. Prosecutions may well not follow, as proof sufficient for the justice system may not be forthcoming, but that is no fault of the investigators. Buzzards are fully protected and nobody in wildlife protection has the attitude of them being 'only' buzzards.

Advertisement