Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time frame in novels

Options
  • 15-01-2016 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

Wondering how do people handle time jumps in books they are writing?
    My novel spans over a few years. How do people begin a new chapter when there has been a jump of a few months. I feel describing the intervening months will slow the the story down. Do you basically say "Over the next few months...blah blah blah," in one sentence, then begin the new chapter? (Hope I explained that OK!)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

femur61 wrote: »
    Wondering how do people handle time jumps in books they are writing?
    My novel spans over a few years. How do people begin a new chapter when there has been a jump of a few months. I feel describing the intervening months will slow the the story down. Do you basically say "Over the next few months...blah blah blah," in one sentence, then begin the new chapter? (Hope I explained that OK!)

There are a few ways.

Really explicitly like: It has been fourteen days and four hours since the moon exploded, and Debbie was reading her horoscope.

Or, if you only need to give a feel for time, you can describe something that would indicate how long -ish.:
    It was only supposed to be a short trip to Columbia, collect the kilo of coke and come back again. But when Fintan opened the door to his flat there was a pile of junk mail as high as the letterbox and there was nothing left of his budgie, Maud, but a tiny white skeleton with a beak.

Or you can get someone to drop it into conversation.

Or you could use the changing of the seasons and things that happen at certain times of year to mark it out. Last chapter it was Christmas, this chapter the trees are budding.

Lots of ways. It just needs to fit with the book and the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Even more explicitly, you could have chapter headings (or "Part" headings e.g. Part II) with a date and year in them e.g.

Chapter 2

July

Not that I like that much; I'd prefer the more skilful ways as per DK's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jabrantl

Das Kitty's nailed it ^^

Depending on the feel of the piece you're writing. Either go blatant, or leave a clear gap and use references to events that must have happened in the intervening months. Maybe have two characters meet that haven't seen each other since the last action, and have a brief recap.

Advertisement