Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvels Comics and the MCU *Spoliers*

Options
  • 15-01-2016 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭

I got permission from our glourious overlord Nervous Wreck to start this thread.

Basically it doesnt fit in the comic thread and murder is to be had in the film thread if you mention comics.

Please note any current film in production its worth mentioning that spoiler tags should be used to avoid spoiling something that you saw in relation to an upcoming movie.

Basically i was wanting to start some discussion on the way the MCU is going about its business and the comic backstories, theories etc if you will.

We have already seen that they deviate largely from the comics in the MCU, so i am looking to see what you think might be coming up down the road based on what you read.

Personally speaking i'm curious as to how they are going to get Thanos to attack earth in Infinity wars. We have seen from the comics his motivation is that he tried to kill his son Thane, but there's absolutely no mention of Thanos' love affair with death for example and why he is collecting the Infinity Stones.

Kevin Feige has said that Black Panther kicks off the Infinity War storyline but I cant see how.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Murder in the film thread if comics are mentioned, such high nosed snobbery :pac:

For Infinity War 1 & 2, I think they might/could possibly take inspiration from the 1992 comic book of the same name, but obviously tweak it enough to fit in with the ongoing narrative, or take inspiration from the Avengers Assemble cartoon show where they also did the infinity stones and gauntlet storyline. But who knows what direction they'll go for the blockbuster finale, also curious to see how Black Panther leads into the first Infinity War film in either mid credits teaser or post credits..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think Marvel should veer away from the comics wherever possible. Absolutely nothing wrong with the comics, but we have those. We already know those stories. Those stories and those versions of the characters have already been told and we have those in the medium that suits them best.

The MCU needs to be its own thing. It should obviously be familiar to the comics readers and should honour the source material, but it shouldn't rigidly adhere to it, otherwise we're just getting the same stories told through a different medium. I like when the MCU diverts from the comics, it keeps things far more interesting and can still surprise the die-hard fans. The Mandarin reveal in IM3 for example was a joy to watch imo.

The comics-verse and the MCU need to be their own things, telling different stories suitable to their own mediums. Even when it comes to Infinity War, although they should obviously honour the comics, the film has to do that version of the story in their own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Penn wrote: »
    I think Marvel should veer away from the comics wherever possible. Absolutely nothing wrong with the comics, but we have those. We already know those stories. Those stories and those versions of the characters have already been told and we have those in the medium that suits them best.

The MCU needs to be its own thing. It should obviously be familiar to the comics readers and should honour the source material, but it shouldn't rigidly adhere to it, otherwise we're just getting the same stories told through a different medium. I like when the MCU diverts from the comics, it keeps things far more interesting and can still surprise the die-hard fans. The Mandarin reveal in IM3 for example was a joy to watch imo.

The comics-verse and the MCU need to be their own things, telling different stories suitable to their own mediums. Even when it comes to Infinity War, although they should obviously honour the comics, the film has to do that version of the story in their own way.

Completely agree. I think it's a real strength that the MCU has; the ability to make the old stories new. The Mandarin story in IM3 really pissed off a lot of people but I loved the balls of it. No one seemed to mind Rhodey being the Iron Patriot all that much: another great interlude. Ditto the SHIELD/Hydra story in Cap2.

As for Infinity War, the comic story had practically no intervention from the Avengers (and what little there was proved utterly futile), it was mostly at the level of the celestials iirc so they'll have to completely change it up to suit the MCU, which will be welcome.

Christ no. The Mandarin was a total waste, I would have been fine with the subterfuge and Pearce's character being the true Mandarin but after the tease of the Ten Rings in IM1 it was just blown potential. Mandarin reveal is shocking but sets up interest, Killian "I'm the real Mandarin, now forget that and back to boring Extremis", Killian dispatched, Mandarin's vast story/history gone too now
    There's one thing tweaking and changing but it's another to piss all over the source.

It always smacks of edginess by committee (much like the upcoming reboot of Ghost Busters)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

Completely agree. I think it's a real strength that the MCU has; the ability to make the old stories new. The Mandarin story in IM3 really pissed off a lot of people but I loved the balls of it. No one seemed to mind Rhodey being the Iron Patriot all that much: another great interlude. Ditto the SHIELD/Hydra story in Cap2.

Cause comic purists are dumb. Strange how they never want everything set in the 1960s. tongue.png

An advantage the adaptations have is that they can streamline decades' worth of material because they don't have the same pressures the books do to keep the story going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I always think of it that way ...Think of the Dark Knight and Heath Ledgers Performance and the trailers and stuff leading up to that

Can you imagine the outrage and stuff if it was all misleading and Ledger turned out to be some random thug pretending to be the joker who in turn was replaced by some lesser version of the character who was dispatched with ease

Stuff like Whiplash being mixed with Crimson Dynamo to make Mickey Rourkes character is fine because there both lesser characters, The Mandarin is such a major character though , with links to Aliens (ten rings, fing fang foom) and the terrorist outfit in the 1st movie and all the build up to the 3rd movie firmly placed Ben Kingsley as a fantastic pseudo Ben Laden looking Mandarin and for all of it to be bollocks was really annoying and misleading and I hated it

Killian (guy pearce) was a great character in his own right and didn't need the Mandarin tack on at the end it just felt so forced , they should have left the Mandarin out altogether if they were going to do this, The Warren Ellis Extremis storyline didn't have him in it anyway

Ant-Man & The Wasp confirmed for NC-17 rating in the states; will likely end up 18s here.

Given Rudd I could see that happening.

Mad rush of R ratings going to come now. FFS Bats Vs Supes getting an R rated home release

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ryan Reynolds deserves a huge thank you for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ant-Man & The Wasp confirmed for NC-17 rating in the states; will likely end up 18s here.
    I don't see any report on this on Digital Spy, they do report that Batman v Superman will have a NC 17 DVD release but nothing about Ant Man 2.
    I would imagine that the Execs at the top of Marvel studios will want the MCU to remain a place where American dads can bring their boys and girls for a day or evening out, Antman toys in the shops alongside the rest of the Avengers .
    Cutting out the kids doesn't seem to be a smart move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

flazio wrote: »
    I don't see any report on this on Digital Spy, they do report that Batman v Superman will have a NC 17 DVD release but nothing about Ant Man 2.
    I would imagine that the Execs at the top of Marvel studios will want the MCU to remain a place where American dads can bring their boys and girls for a day or evening out, Antman toys in the shops alongside the rest of the Avengers .
    Cutting out the kids doesn't seem to be a smart move.

https://twitter.com/MrPeytonReed/status/702544648556818432

Please don't turn Lang into alcoholic wife slapper. Leave that in the Pym past

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Stupid move for an MCU movie. Were the Ant Man comics aimed at an adult market?
    Don't get me wrong, I loved Deadpool but the movie aimed at the same market as his comics. Ant Man is more family friendly from what I gather.
    This is going to backfire badly.

flazio wrote: »
    Stupid move for an MCU movie. Were the Ant Man comics aimed at an adult market?
    Don't get me wrong, I loved Deadpool but the movie aimed at the same market as his comics. Ant Man is more family friendly from what I gather.
    This is going to backfire badly.

They're using the character of Scott Lang but Pym is a douche of tremendous magnitude.

I would rather the lighthearted-ish (some dark parts already) tone of Rudd to be honest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's kind of a shame imo; the tone was perfect for Ant Man, I would have tightened up the comedy a little but overall was the better MCU film of 2015.

I get Hank Pym is supposed to be a dreadful person n' all, but between this, Wolverine 3 and Batman v. Superman's home release suddenly getting R-ratings, the studios' sudden urge to slap a higher cert. seems like a kneejerk reaction to Deadpool. Hopefully it's not just a case of 'oh, the audience like blood, boobs and cussing? MUST ADD MOAR!'

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd almost wonder if Peyton Reed was joking in response to everyone clambering to make their films 18s now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Iron Man, Cap , Black Panther all would benifit from a higher rating ....But not Antman or Guardians or even Thor there's all fantasical stories that are supposed to capture the imagination of kids and things if this is true its bad news

In hindsight, I'd say it's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Can't see them going down the alcoholic route if they didn't do it with Tony Stark, if it is rated R it's probably nudity involved, but as said it's probably a jest.

Advertisement