Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash VOAT: No experience required. Apply within.

Options
  • 15-01-2016 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭

VOAT = Variations on a Theme.

Write a short story using the following line as inspiration:

"No experience required. Apply within."

Word count of 600.
    Writing Deadline: Sunday 17th - 23:59
    Voting Deadline: Wednesday 20th - 23:59

Send your story to FuzzyTrooper before the deadline.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Quick one - when we say 'Flash' are we talking Flash fiction or just quick turnaround? I'm heading for 1000 already :/ Wonder can we make the 600 a minimum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Have never heard of a VOAT before today, but might enter for the laugh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

redser7 wrote: »
    Quick one - when we say 'Flash' are we talking Flash fiction or just quick turnaround? I'm heading for 1000 already :/ Wonder can we make the 600 a minimum?

Both. We're deliberately keeping this one short regarding number of words as there's another non-flash VOAT at the start of Feb.

ionapaul wrote: »
    Have never heard of a VOAT before today, but might enter for the laugh.

Sure why not? The more the merrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Both. We're deliberately keeping this one short regarding number of words as there's another non-flash VOAT at the start of Feb.

ah right, I'll withdraw so.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Posting in here I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nope, send to FT. Stories will be anonymous while voting. See OP.

Hi all. It will be Monday morning before I get a chance to upload the submissions. Still going to keep the Sunday deadline though. I'll be checking timestamps ;) Since I'm also entering I'll pm my piece to Das Kitty for verification that I also met the deadline. If anyone has issues with that then I'll happily withdraw.

Hi all. It will be Monday morning before I get a chance to upload the submissions. Still going to keep the Sunday deadline though. I'll be checking timestamps ;) Since I'm also entering I'll pm my piece to Das Kitty for verification that I also met the deadline. If anyone has issues with that then I'll happily withdraw.

Don't even try to withdraw or we will hunt you down with quill pens and parchement and force you to write on vellum. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Rubecula wrote: »
    Don't even try to withdraw or we will hunt you down with quill pens and parchement and force you to write on vellum. :pac:

Seeing as you mod Oulwans and Oulfellas, I'm guessing you have a stash of those at hand. :p

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Seeing as you mod Oulwans and Oulfellas, I'm guessing you have a stash of those at hand. :p

Used to be legally binding on the Ban Hammer so when we hang them there is no complaints :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I've submitted mine, A hundred or so words over the 600. That's permissible I hope.
    Did we get many others?

I've submitted mine, A hundred or so words over the 600. That's permissible I hope.
    Did we get many others?

You're not the worst offender :rolleyes: Going to be a bit more leniant this time as it's our first flash-VOAT. The poll is up:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057550941

Apologies for the delay. I was having issues i.e. me being a plank. Voting deadline is Wednesday 20th at 23:59 so be sure to get your feedback in by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The standard is very high! I'll read them properly this evening and vote accordingly. Great job by all involved.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I think people's prejudices against over-runners when voting usually redress the balance!

I really hope the site being down has had little effect on this

Not to worry - the deadline has been extended in the voating thread till Saturday morning.

Advertisement