Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to National Treatment Purchase Fund?

Options
  • 15-01-2016 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I've got a condition that was diagnosed alomost 8 years ago now. 3 years back I was literally on the operating table in the Mater to get it sorted out but it got cancelled at the last minute as they found out I had a minor heart condition as a kid and the surgeon couldn't take any risks until the problem was clarified. So I got sent to cardiology where I went through a 2 year wait until eventually they installed a pacemaker.
    The operation I was originally supposed to have involved severing a nerve and there was literally only one surgeon in Ireland in the public health system who does it. He even had a large audience of junior doctors ready to witness the operation but then it got called off at the last minute till my cardiology problems were clarified.
    Anyway by the time all that was done the surgeon had moved to private practice only and I'm back to square one as I'm not covered.

But last October I read an article somewhere in the media. It was about a scheme that is similar to the National Treatment Purchase Fund but ti was called something else which now I can't remember. Basically the scheme is for situations like my own where you just cannot get the surgery done here. So they do it in the UK or elsewhere and the HSE covers it.

Does anyone know what the name of the scheme is? Even my own GP is baffled but I know it exists because of the media article I read.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Do you have a copy of the article or remember who wrote/published it. The author or whatever media it was published in might be able to help guide you. Hope it all works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Problem solved, I found it!

The scheme is called the Treatment Abroad Scheme. Details here for anyone in a similar position to myself
    http://www.hse.ie/treatmentabroad/

I'll have to visit the consultant in his provate practive to get a referral abroad but at least it is preferable than not having the operation done at all or waiting another 8 years

Advertisement