Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Abortion "Pro Life" candidates running in the General Election 2016?

Options
  • 15-01-2016 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

With the general election coming up I am wonder what candidates are running that will canvass/carry/"promise"/etc they they are against abortion, like not a politician who's just against repealing the 8th amendment, but solidly against abortion.

I have being using smartvote.ie and 'googleing' to try find candidates a such but I haven't found any.
    To date the only TD's of this nature I know of would be the likes of Mattie McGrath, Peter Mathews, Lucinda Creighton, Peadar Tóibín (allegedly), Terence Flanagan and I imagine some rural TD's rather then urban.
    If there's a list or anything a such for this topic send it my way or so.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Tommy Roddy in Galway West is making pro-life rhetoric the centre of his campaign. Alongside mental health support.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Paddy Manning announced today that he is running as an independent in Carlow Kilkenny. He is very much pro-life. He was also probably the only gay man in Ireland to campaign against the Gay Marriage Referendum.

Renua can also said to be a pro life party. At their manifesto launch the 18 candidates were asked where they stood on repealing the 8th, 14 of the 18 candidates said that they opposed repealing it. Also David Quinn of the Iona Institute advocated voting for Renua in an Indo article last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Lockstep wrote: »
    Tommy Roddy in Galway West is making pro-life rhetoric the centre of his campaign. Alongside mental health support.
    Well that makes sense I suppose, in a kind of sick, sadistic way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Canadel wrote: »
    Well that makes sense I suppose, in a kind of sick, sadistic way.

I suppose it might, if you didn't regard abortion as a sick and sadistic practice.

I suppose it might, if you didn't regard abortion as a sick and sadistic practice.
    It doesn't matter what a person's personal views on abortion are. To centre a political campaign around pro-life rhetoric alongside mental health support is perverse in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 culloty82

Even though FF has no official policy on the matter, many of their candidates are openly pro-life, and this week Kerry FF councillors proposed a motion (that passed) stating opposition to any change to the 8th Amendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

There is Billy Timmons of course, in Wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

You could just ask them when canvassing kicks off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

James Bannon FG might as well be running on a Pro Life agenda

he does f all else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It doesn't matter what a person's personal views on abortion are. To centre a political campaign around pro-life rhetoric alongside mental health support is perverse in this country.

Do you mean that all pro-life people have mental health problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

feargale wrote: »

One just has to look to Lucinda.

The voices in her head told her that the concept of a suicidal mother seeking a termination was too abhorrent to tolerate, so she quit the government.

One might insert the word 'faith' instead of 'voices'.... but when it's the dude with the beard sitting in clouds giving the orders, questioning compos mentis is understandable!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

More like that pro-lifers are largely unwilling to consider the damage to mental health an unwanted pregnancy can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

One just has to look to Lucinda.

The voices in her head told her that the concept of a suicidal mother seeking a termination was too abhorrent to tolerate, so she quit the government.

One might insert the word 'faith' instead of 'voices'.... but when it's the dude with the beard sitting in clouds giving the orders, questioning compos mentis is understandable!
    That's my major problem with her and Renua. For all their economic and social policy that seems to make sense, I'm having a bit of trouble actually trusting them not because of her position necessarily (as I understand she wants a free vote) but her attitude and actions involving same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mccalld

I too am looing for a pro- life candidate in Dublin North West.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That's my major problem with her and Renua. For all their economic and social policy that seems to make sense, I'm having a bit of trouble actually trusting them not because of her position necessarily (as I understand she wants a free vote) but her attitude and actions involving same.

The idea of 'freedom of conscience' in Dail votes drives me ****ing bananas.

Your job is to represent the people of the constituency (in Lucinda's case the constituency most strongly in favour of the opposite position to her on abortion in the entire country).

Voting with your conscience is what you do in a referendum, representing your constituency is what you do in the parliament.

While that's an interesting theory, what I meant was that in a country in which a woman's reproductive system is more heavily regulated than fraudulent banks, it seems slightly insane to me that someone would promote pro life policies together with mental health. Unless of course they mean the mental health of the unborn child..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Diarmuid O'Flynn from "Ballyhea Says No" is quite staunchly pro-life and blocks anyone on Twitter who reminds him of this. I suppose the clues were there in their weekly marches which revolve around going to/coming from mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Kate Bopp v anti abortion says she's running for the dial, sorry, daill in Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Keane, your argument against exercising a freedom to vote in the Dail is contradicted by your assertion that you should vote as the majority of your constituents would.
    Less again by taking the whip of a party that may promote something that either you don't agree with or is not in the general interest of your constituents.
    These are contradictory positions.
    Our whip system is extreme and other countries can govern well with more flexibility.
    Of course, that might give some power to backbenchers and we couldn't have that.

Water John wrote: »
    Keane, your argument against exercising a freedom to vote in the Dail is contradicted by your assertion that you should vote as the majority of your constituents would.
    Less again by taking the whip of a party that may promote something that either you don't agree with or is not in the general interest of your constituents.
    Our whip system is extreme and other countries can govern well with more flexibility.
    Of course, that might give some power to backbenchers and we couldn't have that.

Can you rephrase I can't follow this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

That is true, we se it over in Westminster where MPs have freedom of vote on social issues.

Keane I am simply pointing out that as a TD you don't have a focus group of constituents to consult and vote accordingly.
    You are elected because they trust your judgement on issues.
    That line originally comes from Edmund Burke in some variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I just find it unfortunate (in the case of Renua in particular) that I can agree with their economic policy in theory, but I end up voting against my own interests in that regard because they can't be trusted not to put their personal and oppressive religious beliefs ahead of the common good.

If this was someone talking about free votes of conscience on polygamy or circumcision or head-coverings, we'd have riots in the streets.

Yes Slipper, that's a case where you (and I) would not trust an elected TD (Renua) to vote in our interest. That is legitimate.
    Doesn't largely matter in that case whether whip is applied or not. I think most Renua candidates will trump personal beliefs over any whip on a conscience issue.

Keane I am simply pointing out that as a TD you don't have a focus group of constituents to consult and vote accordingly.
    You are elected because they trust your judgement on issues.
    That line originally comes from Edmund Burke in some variation.

In Lucinda's case she had the results of not one but two referendums to draw on, both of which told her the views of her constituents were as far in the other direction from her own as are to be found in the country.

Instead of representing these views she did the exact opposite, which is a terrible indictment of a public representative.

She had the opportunity to exercise her conscience vote at the same time as everyone else, i.e. during the referendums.

Fair enough if she hadn't a clue what her constituents wanted her to do on some issue or other (well, not really fair enough but whatever), but it's a bit of a laugh to suggest she didn't know right well that the only person she was representing on the abortion issue was her own self. Focus groups my arse.

There was a GE hustings for Galway West/South Mayo last night. Out of the candidates there on repealing the 8th, O'Mahoney (FG) and Connolly (FF) both said they were personally pro-life but felt it would need to be a democratic decision. Fidelma Healy Eames is avowedly anti-repealing the 8th as is Tommy Roddy (both independents)
    All the other candidates there support repealing the 8th (although Kyne (FG) said he supported abortion for incest, rape and fetal abnormalities rather than abortion on demand)

Lockstep wrote: »
    Fidelma Healy Eames is avowedly anti-repealing the 8th
    She's also avowedly anti-thinking so I wouldn't take much note of her stance on anything tbh.

Keane you're reading me wrong. I don't agree with Lucenda. But she represents the minority in her constituency, who are entitled to be heard.
    By your reasoning all five TD's in the constituency should vote the way the majority voted in the referendums. That's not how it works.

The total anti abortion campaigners have lost a good bit of their clout, but many candidates would still be wary of strongly supporting a contrary view in the run up to an election. Candidates worry about every vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I just find it unfortunate (in the case of Renua in particular) that I can agree with their economic policy in theory, but I end up voting against my own interests in that regard because they can't be trusted not to put their personal and oppressive religious beliefs ahead of the common good.

If this was someone talking about free votes of conscience on polygamy or circumcision or head-coverings, we'd have riots in the streets.

Does it matter where their beliefs come from, I mean if someone was a militant atheist and hated everything religious and voted against the interests of religious people would that be any different?

I have read postings by atheists elsewhere who are against abortion, some believe it must be about religion. It is about life and that is far bigger than religion.

I prefer politicians to vote for what they believe, rather than what they are told to do. I think politicians who are likely to be open to corruption are those who can put what they know and believe to be right aside and do what they feel is wrong for personal gain.
    Lucinda showed she was a straight shooter and lost a junior minister's job over what she believed to be right.
    That is someone I would vote for, someone who has principals and will make personal sacrifices to uphold them.
    Lucinda actually lost money by what she did, makes a difference to those who ask 'whats in it for me?', and there were some in FG who voted for 'whats in it for me'.

• Advertisement

She's also avowedly anti-thinking so I wouldn't take much note of her stance on anything tbh.

Agreed. She's taken being a curtain twitcher and made a political career from it.

Advertisement