Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's your favourite superhero?

Options
  • 14-01-2016 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭

I had a really long post and then the site crashed on me. I'll post it again but, in the meantime, who's your fav and why?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Do they have to be superpowered or do the likes of Batman and Ironman count?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Leaving aside the big names like Batman, Spider-Man, Deadpool etc, one of my favourites is The Sentry.

Unbelievable level of power (to the point where it's unknown just how powerful he actually is). Only one strong enough to essentially fight the Hulk to a draw, and in terms of character has such a great backstory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Non-powered is Nightwing. I love how he enjoys what he does, compared to Batman's constant moping.

If it has to be someone with powers I'd choose The Flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

My favourite is Deadpool, but a close second is Adam Warlock. I love the fact he tries to avoid conflict as much as possible but ends up being ultimately responsible for The Magus.. Irony!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

Don't have a specific favourite because i'm a fan of the x-men and i like the fact that none of them are too good on their own its all about the teamwork.

However if i had to narrow it down it would be a tie between Storm and Cyclops , as the main leaders of the x-men and the ones who have to make the whole group work.
    212px-Cyclopsjc.jpg250px-X-Men_Storm_Main.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm sure some people will argue, she isn't a Superhero, but she's got super powers, so deal with it. Buffy Summers is my favourite superhero...

Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer.jpg

The Tick would come in a close second for me...

the-tick-spoon.jpg

Honourable mentions go to Gambit, Deadpool and Raphael (the Ninja Turtle, not the renaissance artist)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Why would anyone argue that Buffy isn't a superhero?! Easily the best female superhero ever imo.

Why would anyone argue that Buffy isn't a superhero?! Easily the best female superhero ever imo.

I agree with you, she's got superpowers, therefore is a superhero, but whenever the topic comes up, there always seem to be people who argue the fact...

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

I agree with you, she's got superpowers, therefore is a superhero, but whenever the topic comes up, there always seem to be people who argue the fact...

Those people would be right :P ! She's not a superhero because she doesn't exist in a superhero universe.

If Buffy counts as a superhero then so does Angel, Gandalf, Randi Wallace, that guy from Forever Knight and Cameron the terminator :rolleyes: .

• Advertisement

wreade1872 wrote: »
    Those people would be right :P ! She's not a superhero because she doesn't exist in a superhero universe.

This makes no sense. When Superman first appeared in comics, he didn't exist in a superhero universe; it followed from him. Ditto for Namor.

How does Buffy not exist in a superhero universe? She is a super-powered hero who fights evil in a world of supernatural evils...?
    wreade1872 wrote: »
    If Buffy counts as a superhero then so does Angel, Gandalf, Randi Wallace, that guy from Forever Knight and Cameron the terminator :rolleyes: .

Angel definitely counts. Gandalf, I'm on the fence about as I don't really see him as a hero. The others, I don't know who they are...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I thought Superhero was someone with powers fighting for good regardless of whether they were by themselves or not.

Does it have to be a hero? I prefer more of a middleground. :D
    Screw it, it's been Deadpool for years. Sometimes he is a hero . . .

If it does have to be a hero Spiderman. I prefer Iron Man these days but watched Spiderman cartoons for years as a child.

Post is kind of all over the place but with so much choice it is to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

Comics weren't really available for me when I was younger so most of my opinions were based on cartoons. And my favourite was x men, but gambit in particular. I absolutely loved everything about him, from his card flinging to his accent.

Left-field choice, freakazoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Buffy's definitely a superhero. Damn good one at that. Superstrength, endurance, healing, some precognitive abilities.

My favourite superhero has always been Batman but I think I'll go with a different character for this cos Batman is a little easy as an answer...

So, for the purposes of this thread, it's Daredevil! I love Daredevil. My first introduction to the character was in the 90s Spider-man series. He was awesome in that and it inspired me to read some Daredevil comics. The first DD comics I read was the Frank Miller/John Romita Jr. limited series from the early 90s. It's a looooooooong time since I've read it and I'm sure it'd look brand new to me now so I should totally re-read that soon.

Unlike most, I actually liked the Jon Favreau Daredevil film but I think that's really cos of the character rather than the film itself... Anyway. What I love about DD is pretty much everything. His powers are awesome, his unrelenting pursuit of justice, his combat and acrobatic skills, his costume. He's such a great character. He's also been through some great tragedies and reinventions over the years. Mark Waid's recent double-run on the character are probably my favourite to date; I think they'll stand the test of time and join the likes of Miller and Brubaker's works as the shining moments in Daredevil history.

Added to that, the Daredevil Netflix show is easily one of the stronger parts of the MCU; it stayed true to the characters while giving its own spin on them. Season 2 promises to build on that, which is really exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

My favourite is a proper left of field choice I think anyway and it's Marvels Version of the God of War Ares, I always felt he was an awesome alternative to the clean cut God of Thunder Thor in that he's just as easy rip someone apart as quick as he'd save someone but still retained his warriors nobility sort of like a mighty Spartan loved his run in the New Avengers and Dark Avengers under Bendis

Ares.jpg

Advertisement