Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out about the history of a not well documented Norman Castle?

Options
  • 14-01-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

In my county a Norman Castle once stood, now replaced by a farm house. It was "in ruins" according to the old maps on the ordance survey website in the late 1800s/early 1900s at least. I'm just wondering what is the best method of finding out about these things? Should I find a local historian? Would local/national libraries provide any sources? Any good websites?
    I have some information already such as the name of the Family who inhabited it (it's in the name of the townland in which it is situated), the OS location, and the accompanying moat/motte (small hill) still stands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

MrYlad wrote: »
    In my county a Norman Castle once stood, now replaced by a farm house. It was "in ruins" according to the old maps on the ordance survey website in the late 1800s/early 1900s at least. I'm just wondering what is the best method of finding out about these things? Should I find a local historian? Would local/national libraries provide any sources? Any good websites?
    I have some information already such as the name of the Family who inhabited it (it's in the name of the townland in which it is situated), the OS location, and the accompanying moat/motte (small hill) still stands.
    Local histories would be your best chance with a number of county by county histories having been released in recent years. You could maybe find some of these in local libraries. If it was a building of significance it might also get a mention in the Lewis topographical dictionary of Ireland, I think this can be viewed on line if you search.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The Registry of deeds began in 1707 so there may be deeds related to the land available as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MrYlad

Thanks guys for your help, I'll follow up on those sources.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

You might find some details on the mapping service on archaeology.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jeamimus

Griffiths valuation and maps... all online gives great information on mid 19th century Ireand.
    then sources such as Lewis Topographical Dictionary.. also online
    Once you have a name for the castle or the townland it stood in... google all possible spellings and follow up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MrYlad

jeamimus wrote: »
    Griffiths valuation and maps... all online gives great information on mid 19th century Ireand.
    then sources such as Lewis Topographical Dictionary.. also online
    Once you have a name for the castle or the townland it stood in... google all possible spellings and follow up

On the Griffiths valuation maps, what do the little red numbers mean? Where and how can i found out what they're referring to? Thanks very much for the sources, they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jeamimus

MrYlad wrote: »
    On the Griffiths valuation maps, what do the little red numbers mean? Where and how can i found out what they're referring to? Thanks very much for the sources, they're great.

If you go to the griffiths text, it lists all the landholders and this list is numbered (on the left iirc). Then go to the map on that townland and the numbers refer to the actual lands of that person in that townland.

The work done in that survey was incredible and the maps are so accurate, even today.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

You don't say where this castle is located. You need to look up the relevant volume of the series of books entitled "Archaeological inventory of Co. XYZ".
    I am not sure how many or if all counties have been published, but the volume I have is well documented.

Advertisement