Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luvvies gone into overdrive?

• 14-01-2016 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,825 ✭✭✭✭

First of all, I will admit that by nature I am a cynical dude.

So, having conceded that, what's going on with the Luvvies?

These Oscar nominations, great that we have done well, but every RTE news bulletin I have listened to,every programme, every chance to portray this as a major event has been taken.

Now, I would surmise that to the majority of Ireland's population this is a ' bit of an interest' but not world shattering news?

Looks like the luvvies have gone into overdrive, and RTE are throwing petrol on the flames big time .

Is this an attempt to big up everything to ensure a fairly large contingent of blaggers from Donnybrook to hit for LA to cover the 'Ooirish Angle'?

I said I was cynical and if the general opinion is against me, I will be glad to back down and admit I was wrong.

What's going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What are you talking about?
    Who are the luvvies?

Maybe it's just a slow news month. It's pretty miserable in January generally, I don't mind a bit of news that doesn't involve rape or beheading or bombing or child abuse or homelessness. It helps take the edge of the grim realities.

Besides, I quite like checking out the dresses on the ole red carpet and all that shallow, superficial idiot stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What's going on?

You first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

UK are claiming Saoirse as a British actor and we're claiming "Room" as an Irish movie. Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

UK are claiming Saoirse as a British actor and we're claiming "Room" as an Irish movie. Fair enough.

Room is an Irish (and Canadian) film. It was funded by the IFB and its Canadian counterpart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,825 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What are you talking about?
    Who are the luvvies?

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/luvvies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Canada just claimed the writer of 'Room' and everything associated with 'Brooklyn', and they're not even proper Americans.

Room is an Irish (and Canadian) film. It was funded by the IFB and its Canadian counterpart

IFB are listed here allright. Filmed entirely on location in Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Canada just claimed the writer of 'Room' and everything associated with 'Brooklyn', and they're not even proper Americans.

.....o you had to, didn't you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Merely nominations yet the LEAD story and took pretty much the entire 6 one news bulletin this evening

Is Panti running their newsroom now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,472 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Yeah,but the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

my friend wrote: »
    Merely nominations yet the LEAD story and took pretty much the entire 6 one news bulletin this evening

Is Panti running their newsroom now?

No, Kim Jung Kenny is, all the awards news is covering up Noonan's U turn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

What dafuq has it to do with Panti?

Oscars are an easy lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,972 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You educated me I never heard of this phrase did the arty crowd invent this word themselves?

As for the OP's question I agree it is awful guff. I just watch a film if I think its decent as for the awards I couldn't give a sh*te. All these overly dramatic and overly emotional people, you would swear it was a club All-Ireland title they were getting!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Well they did give over most of Mondays broadcast time to the death of a British pop singer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Generally speaking I am at odds with the media. In recent months in particular the leftist agenda of RTE and their ilk has really started to get to me.
    This Oscar buzz is yet again another attempt to distract us from the real issues.

Irish film industry doing well, great. But it's not like the best thing that's ever happened is. As you say OP, it is mildly interesting.

Well they did give over most of Mondays broadcast time to the death of a British pop singer

He was Irish too.

You educated me I never heard of this phrase did the arty crowd invent this word themselves?

As for the OP's question I agree it is awful guff. I just watch a film if I think its decent as for the awards I couldn't give a sh*te. All these overly dramatic and overly emotional people, you would swear it was a club All-Ireland title they were getting!

Not sure who invented it,but I have to say it's appropriate.

Heard Saoirse Ronan interviewed on the 6 news.

Where did that accent come from :eek:

Best of luck to them by the way, be interesting to see who gets the gig from Montrose, they will hardly leave such a world shattering event to Ms Perry.

She will need back up surely;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Comes from the overly affected way that theater actors speak, with much "Dahling, don't be afraid to express yourself!! Luvvie, please.....you're too much!!"

That kind of thing.

Heard Saoirse Ronan interviewed on the 6 news.

Where did that accent come from :eek:

Yes, that. What happened there?! Is she suddenly from Finglas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I think any industry in Ireland or of Ireland that achieves on the world stage should be celebrated. Part of being Irish is a love for words and stories and its past time we turned that into a sustainable film industry. Well done to the lot of them: great to see a new generation of Irish artists achieve international recognition.

Shrap wrote: »
    Yes, that. What happened there?! Is she suddenly from Finglas?

Cannot figure that one out, she was Mount Anville Central last I heard:confused:

He was Irish too.

Newstalk managed to mention today that the late great Alan Rickman had an Irish granny ( we just cant help acting the eejit)

Cannot figure that one out, she was Mount Anville Central last I heard:confused:
    Strange that :D and her born in New York . ( Oops is she still Irish so :eek: )

Strange that :D and her born in New York . ( Oops is she still Irish so :eek: )

Irish as Jimmy Magee...:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

He was Irish too.
    He belonged to the world. Great artists do.

Newstalk managed to mention today that the late great Alan Rickman had an Irish granny ( we just cant help acting the eejit)

Ah but he was De Valera once and shot Michael Collins (Liam Neeson) in the back...(allegedly)
    Personally I like to think that he only meant to "schießen die Fenster" (shoot the windows) like in die hard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Mutual masturbation by The Mutual Admiration Society! A sickly melange of sociopaths. Pass the sickbag please.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    I think any industry in Ireland or of Ireland that achieves on the world stage should be celebrated. Part of being Irish is a love for words and stories and its past time we turned that into a sustainable film industry. Well done to the lot of them: great to see a new generation of Irish artists achieve international recognition.

I don't mind that at all it is just they go over the top with the hype. The film tax breaks were a great idea in fairness.
    But I think the Oscars are terrible television with every cliche in the book thrown out though.
    Then you have actors/actresses getting teary eyed and way too emotional that is the bit I can't stick. The Irish media are already feeding into that.
    I get that there are people who like to watch the glam and who is wearing what, but that sideshow is not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

First of all, I will admit that by nature I am a cynical dude.

So, having conceded that, what's going on with the Luvvies?

These Oscar nominations, great that we have done well, but every RTE news bulletin I have listened to,every programme, every chance to portray this as a major event has been taken.

Now, I would surmise that to the majority of Ireland's population this is a ' bit of an interest' but not world shattering news?

Looks like the luvvies have gone into overdrive, and RTE are throwing petrol on the flames big time .

Is this an attempt to big up everything to ensure a fairly large contingent of blaggers from Donnybrook to hit for LA to cover the 'Ooirish Angle'?

I said I was cynical and if the general opinion is against me, I will be glad to back down and admit I was wrong.

What's going on?

Rte need to spend time reporting on stuff like this, they won't report real news like Denis O'Brien being investigated by the Criminal Assets Bureau, that airtime won't fill itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭22catch

They can have her, the young wan grates on my nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

What's going on?

It's not just RTÉ. TV3 are the same, as are the newspapers. It's the media in general.

It doesn't bother me too much. Let them have their fun.
    So he could have played for Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Its the same every january/february. The tv/movie industry give themselves a big pat on the back and the media follow every fart and plummeting cleavage...
    Personally I would rather watch a 'best postman in the world' award ceremony...

Menas wrote: »

Me too. Their stories would be much more interesting!

Menas wrote: »
    Its the same every january/february. The tv/movie industry give themselves a big pat on the back and the media follow every fart and plummeting cleavage...

'Plunging' surely :p

Agree totally though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,374 ✭✭✭✭endacl

An awful lot of people who don't care about the oscars post on threads about the oscars to reassure us of how little they care about the oscars. Every year.

And the Oscar for not really caring about the oscars goes to....

endacl wrote: »
    An awful lot of people who don't care about the oscars post on threads about the oscars to reassure us of how little they care about the oscars. Every year.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

As industry awards shows go it gets over covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

At the end of the day its just another business. As an entertainment industry computer gaming is bigger but rte would never lead with games award nominations even though there could be a lot of jobs depending on the game's success. It should be the light fluffy story at the end of the news.
    At the end of the day your average rte lifer would prefer schmoozing in swanky hotels than being knee deep in sewage reporting a flooding story.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

silverharp wrote: »
    At the end of the day its just another business. As an entertainment industry computer gaming is bigger but rte would never lead with games award nominations even though there could be a lot of jobs depending on the game's success. It should be the light fluffy story at the end of the news.
    At the end of the day your average rte lifer would prefer schmoozing in swanky hotels than being knee deep in sewage reporting a flooding story.

If that's the case, I think Teresa Mannion should get the junket to the Oscars:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

Shrap wrote: »
    Comes from the overly affected way that theater actors speak, with much "Dahling, don't be afraid to express yourself!! Luvvie, please.....you're too much!!"

That kind of thing.

I heard that Stephen Fry invented the word / term Luvvy!

Who??? I don't care!!! And other passive aggressive posts brought to you by boards dot ie

You are such a rebel!!!

The self validating is fun- popular opinions you disagree with, most overrated, why does everyone like...

The threads are a pastiche, oh the FB hating one- thinly veiled, I don't have friends...

Even the Bowie RIP thread, usual suspects weigh in with controversial "differing" opinion- yawn!

Reminds me of the episode of Frasier where Roz's cousin came and hated on everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Small country gets some Oscar nominations and celebrates the artists, big fcking mickeyswing. Fair played to them.

This site has become desperate, you name it Boards hates it.

I can't imagine too many people watch postmen deliver the mail. It's the Entertainment industry- it entertains!!!

This site has become desperate, you name it Boards hates it.

Incredible the way the word " hate " is used to describe the opinion of anyone if you don't agree with it .
    Just because most posters on this particular subject choose to poke fun at or express surprise at the deftness of it all does not mean they HATE it .
    I suggest that the word hate be reserved for use in appropriate situations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Annual entertainment industry circle-jerk & piss up, what harm.

At least December-January is good for DVDScr's :D

mansize wrote: »
    I can't imagine too many people watch postmen deliver the mail. It's the Entertainment industry- it entertains!!!

I think it will deliver despite the dogs chasing them as they hold the award.

Advertisement