Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2005 volkswagen golf 1.4

Options
  • 14-01-2016 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

So I'm new to this forum so I'm hoping I'm posting in the right place. My current car (01 Nissan Almera) went through the NCT this morning and failed miserably, chassis is completely rusted. I'm looking for cars under €2,500 on the usual websites and came across one I'm interested in - a '05 Volkswagen Golf 1.4. I have been doing some research about this car model but I'd love some help in clarifying some things.

-Would a 05 golf be a reliable car?

-Are they reliable engines/gearbox?

-Has the 1.4 engine really poor power?

-Would a '05 Ford Focus be any better?

If someone could set me straight on them few points and anything else you think would be worth knowing about these type of cars, I would be eternally grateful as I need a reliable car fairly ASAP.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Checkmate1

Edit - I would be using the car for mainly city driving with the odd motorway spin,if that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Checkmate1 wrote: »
    Edit - I would be using the car for mainly city driving with the odd motorway spin,if that helps!

I have that car and that's what I use it for.

It's a grand car. Cheap motor tax, my insurance premium didn't go up, easy enough on petrol.

Not too much power compared to large engine cars, but it'll cruise lovely at 140 on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The 1.4 Golf is terribly underpowered, I would say there's no other 1.4 petrol car on the road that is as slow as it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

what about toyota corolla
    link below just an example
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/11194594

The Almera I have (had) is a 1.5L. It wasn't massively powerful either but it got from A to B for 4 or 5 years and gave very little trouble over that time, if any infact. Best car I've ever had to be honest, realiability wise anyway. I know I could look at going for another Almera but I'd like a change also. Im not hugely concerned about power to be honest. Here is a link to the advert > cars dot donedeal dot ie slash cars-for-sale slash vw-golf slash 11276895 I am a new user so cannot post URL's apparently. Not a lot of detail in the ad though. I'm a college student aswell so easy to maintained and ran are my biggest factors in deciding on a car. The tax for the Almera now is about €380 or something like that for the year so something similiar would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

That's the one alright! Aside from the lack of power, is it a reliable engine? Do they need much maintaining? The Almeara had a timing chain so in all my time of having that car,I never had to touch it. How often does the timing belt need replacing?

I'm definitely keeping all options open,I'm not deadset on the VW. But the absolute maximum I can afford right now is €2500.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

3 word description, no mention of nct expiry, no interior photos, I'd look elsewhere.

Ya, thats worrying alright but at the same time that could be an advantage. The seller may not have included those details accidentally or he could have excluded them purposely. Either way, it could work to my advantage as the fact them details are left out would put off most buyers. And seeing as the car is literally 5 minutes up the road from me I'll have a look at it in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

What about a honda civic? I had one for years and like most people i had no trouble with it.
    This one is in cork and would probably be bought within budget. Its a saloon tho if your looking for a hatchback.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic/11269603
    Lovely cars and relatively bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

Nct is out a while, since 7/15, and it's a good chunk of mileage for an '05 1.4 petrol. I'd be curious as to why a private person only bought the car 8 days ago and has it for sale (there's lots of these "private" sellers on done deal who are actually unregistered dealers) you've absolutely no come back if anything is seriously wrong after you buy it.

Lack of info & interior pictures is a negative as photos in an ad seriously help sell a car.

BUYER BEWARE

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

To answer your questions, the mkv golf is an ok engine if maintained. The intervals on belts aren't long but cannot be neglected. The timing belt should be replace along with the waterpump, usually done in one job (about350 job). They can blow head gaskets and need to be serviced regularly or they will use all their oil(like any car really)

As the lads are saying its underpowered, but power prob isn't your thing and they get down the road ok and stop well. Plus youre in a VW which has an appeal over your Hondas and Toyotas (for some people)

They usually hold their value a little better than the mechanically superior competitors but that's badge value more than anything.

If you look at one make sure it has paperwork, tipex on the timing belt shroud means nothing unless theres a receipt for the replacement.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The Golf is a good car but the 1.4 petrol engine is know to suffer from oil and emmision issues. They are also a bit underpowered and not that quiet as they get older.

Something like a corolla does things better. It has a much superior engine that is much more responsive and more reliable. The cars themselves are better built too imo and should be easier to maintain than a 1.4 golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Checkmate1 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    -Has the 1.4 engine really poor power?

If it is a 1.4 TSI, than it is has very nice power and throttle response.

However, it is one of the most unreliable engines, topping even the 2.0 TDi.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

grogi wrote: »
    If it is a 1.4 TSI, than it is has very nice power and throttle response.

However, it is one of the most unreliable engines, topping even the 2.0 TDi.

From the money quoted its the 1.4 N/A engine OP is talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There was no 1.4 TSi available in the Golf back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    There was no 1.4 TSi available in the Golf back then.

It has been put in the Golf (125 kW version) since 2005. Maybe it wasn't offered in Irish market though, cannot be sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭alentejo

I have a 1.4 Golf. For most driving its fine. Will cruse along on a motorway nicely at 100-110 k on a motorway. Higher revs if cruising at 120, but ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

alentejo wrote: »
    I have a 1.4 Golf. For most driving its fine. Will cruse along on a motorway nicely at 100-110 k on a motorway. Higher revs if cruising at 120, but ok.

I find with mine there's a sort of harmonic vibration at 120, but above or below its quiet enough.

• Advertisement

Hi again all!
    Just thought I'd give a quick update if anyones interested. Thanks to all your contributions and advice re which car I should get, in the end I settled for an immaculate 06 Focus 1.4 The power isn't fantastic but it does exactly what I want it to! I'd like to thank you all for your help as it was most useful!

Advertisement