Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduating with a degree in CS - working temporarily?

Options
  • 14-01-2016 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'll be graduating this summer. I want to get some money together and go travelling for a while, so I'm not looking to get settled into a permanent job with a big company. I don't want to take a good job with a good company, and pick up and leave after 5 months, ruining any chance of working for them again.

Is there any development jobs suited to this type of temporary work for a graduate? Should I just apply for any job I see, and leave when it suits me?

Type of work doesn't bother me, only thing I wouldn't touch is web development.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Would you not start saving now and work somewhere in Europe, Canada, US or Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 guitarless

Well I'm still in college, so I can't save anything right now. Either way I need to work to get some money.

That might be a good option in a year or two, but ideally I'd like to travel properly for a bit (as in move around)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

The reality is that many companies will be OK with hiring you back after your travels if you show you're what they need. I'd recommend that you stay for 6 months rather than 5 - getting over the half year will look better than not quite making it.

Advertisement