Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flaked barley

Options
  • 14-01-2016 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Wonder if anyone here know of this? When I was a child our milk puddings were made with this and sterilised ie long life milk and nothing more delicious on a cold day. A rich taste with the barley. I used to be able to get barley flakes further north but have not seen it down here in the southwest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone here know of this? When I was a child our milk puddings were made with this and sterilised ie long life milk and nothing more delicious on a cold day. A rich taste with the barley. I used to be able to get barley flakes further north but have not seen it down here in the southwest

I'd say any wholefood shop would have it or failing that, homebrew suppliers would have it.
    Theres a few Irish online homebrew suppliers if you Google them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You could also ask in the Home Brewing forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Graces7 wrote: »
    There is a homebrew guy in Adrigole which isn't far from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks everyone.. hopefully out tomorrow so will seek and find! Was in Adrigole last week too... I passed that Home Brew place.. on the road to Glengarriff it was.. Next time..

Well, no problems finding it; it was the thread re barley that reminded me. Bought one for myself and one for someone else... THANK YOU! When the small range is lit the oven does excellent milk puddings etc and I have enjoyed sweet pasta puddings too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you see none in the health food shop just ask. Mine had a large book from their supplier with all sorts of grains they did not get it in usually. I was also able to get 3kg bags ordered which were far cheaper per kilo than the 500g ones on the shelves.

This was an independent one, not sure that holland & barrett would do something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Check out farm shops. Glanbia website lists all their ones. Flaked barley is cheap, less than €10 for 25kg.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Check out farm shops. Glanbia website lists all their ones. Flaked barley is cheap, less than €10 for 25kg.

Thanks but would have problems storing and using that amount! Made a delicious and simple flaked barley pudding in the range side oven yesterday; perfect food for this bitter weather..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ancientgrainz

Barley is either impossible to find in a store, or it is such a rip-off that it is not worth it, wheras oats are dirt cheap in stores.

However, is it really true that humans can buy very cheap 'animal feed' barley in farm stores for human consumption?

I can't post links yet (ridiculous) but on mybuildingsupplies there is 20kg flaked barley for 6.50, on whitesagri there is 20kg rolled barley for 10.30, are these the kinds of things people can actually eat?

Any other specific places in/near Dublin that have super cheap barley flakes please let me know either here or via pm, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I thought she was back! 😱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭squonk

Well I grew up on a farm and I remember either a neighbour or friends had some sort of barley feed at one point that might have been flaked barley. It tasted sweet. We used to grab a handful and eat it. Never did us any harm. I’d just check if there are any additives for the animals but mostly I’d guess it’s straightforward grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ancientgrainz

This

https:// mybuildingsupplies .ie /shop/gardening-outdoors/farm-supplies/flaked-barley-livestock-feed-20kg/

and this

https:// www. whitesagri. ie/product/rolled-barley-20kg/

(3 obvious spaces in there, unbearable that the website is blocking these links) are cheap.

It seems like there's a lot of risk that this could be barley not fit for human consumption, full of dirt, etc... If anybody does this (preferably near Dublin) buys anything like this or knows where it is cheap let me know.

Advertisement