Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf to get 30+KWh battery this year

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Maybe, but they seem to be way behind the curve or simply uninterested in EV's

Only talking about 30kWh "soon" when Nissan is already shipping 30kWh Leafs and GM (and Nissan quietly) talking about 60kWh next year.

The Golf GTE actually looks like a very nice PHEV that would be perfect for many people in Ireland (myself included) if it wasn't so ridiculously priced!

What VW has being doing with EV's so far seems totally half hearted and more marketing then reality.

I think we will have to wait for new, built from the ground up BEV's based on their new EV platform, the MEB architecture, that they showed off in the form of the Budd-E at CES for them to take EV's serious, probably in a few years time.

BTW the Budd-E is just a concept that is unlikely to see the light of day, at least in this form. But the platform it is built on is real and it is very noticeable that it is almost the perfect size for a new generation ground up EV Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

My experience at a major Dublin VW dealership trying to buy the eGolf was odd. They tried very hard to talk me out of it, even making it clear they'd rather I bought a different brand. It went along the lines of "I am *not* going to let you buy this car from me, unless you are really sure there is nothing else you would like better. Have a look around, talk to others, and only come back to me if there is nothing else there for you."

In some way, I suppose, they were doing me a favour, as clearly there must be a reason eGolf was not a car for me: the dealer is an expert' after all.

Several calls unreturned, and a general air of eGolfs being some sort of a wart that needed to be squashed and hidden from passers by, all made it clear to me that VW are serious about not wanting to sell it. I now also believe I would be facing issues in the future should anything arise, because the garage would end up saying "I told you so", rather than stand fully behind its EV mission.

VW are interested in profit only, this is clearly evident with the Diesel scandal. They knew Diesel has reached the end of it's development and there wasn't a hope of selling Diesels without the rogue software.

Then like magic they got this 300 mile range EV in development that can charge at 300 Kw ! Yeah , pull the other one VW.

Nissan release a 120 Km range EV , VV and BMW follow, Nissan Upgrade to 140-170 Kms, VW follow and BMW likely , No doubt Nissan release the 60 KWh battery so too will the rest.

Shame there are 0 incentives for electrics in Deutschland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Rafal wrote: »
    My experience at a major Dublin VW dealership trying to buy the eGolf was odd. They tried very hard to talk me out of it, even making it clear they'd rather I bought a different brand. It went along the lines of "I am *not* going to let you buy this car from me, unless you are really sure there is nothing else you would like better. Have a look around, talk to others, and only come back to me if there is nothing else there for you."

In some way, I suppose, they were doing me a favour, as clearly there must be a reason eGolf was not a car for me: the dealer is an expert' after all.

Several calls unreturned, and a general air of eGolfs being some sort of a wart that needed to be squashed and hidden from passers by, all made it clear to me that VW are serious about not wanting to sell it. I now also believe I would be facing issues in the future should anything arise, because the garage would end up saying "I told you so", rather than stand fully behind its EV mission.

Were they even able to? I mean not a lot of dealerships have all the equipment to PDI let alone service the cars. It's an odd one really!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

flamegrill wrote: »
    Were they even able to? I mean not a lot of dealerships have all the equipment to PDI let alone service the cars. It's an odd one really!

Well, they gave me a test drive, so I suppose they were able to sell.

• Advertisement

Who's going to pay nearly 40 K for a E -Golf ? If the current one costs about 35 K with heat pump, the leaf is 28.5 K fully loaded.

I can't see VW offering the 30 kwh at the same cost.

Who's going to pay nearly 40 K for a E -Golf ? If the current one costs about 35 K with heat pump, the leaf is 28.5 K fully loaded.

I can't see VW offering the 30 kwh at the same cost.

Advertisement