Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre Season Running

Options
  • 14-01-2016 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I've been doing a bit of pre season running to get fit for the new GAA season.

I've been running 7 km on road, 14 km
    on road and doing 40 min interval training on the treadmill alternating between 10 km/hr and 15 km/hr for 2 minutes each covering 8 km. I've also been swimming between about 2-3 km in pool.

My question here is what is the best distance to be covering when training this way, is it better to do 7km flat out or pace myself and do 14 km. Or would the interval training be the best.
    I'm also lifting weights aswell but due to a dodgy knee can't do much lifting with legs.

Also should you do Cardio every day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

road running??.... madness. Do u not like your knees? Run on grass.

Cardio everyday likewise is madness. Rest is just as important as exercise.

Head over to the fitness forum and they'll be able to advise u better.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sisyphus Mark II

It would get very boring running that distance on grass. I've good runners and insoles so legs not badly effected by it. Knee injury is an old collision injury.

My main query is to distances, I'm siding toward 7 km done quickly! I've found running on the road to be very effective before for preparing for Season. Training starts next week so guess it doesn't matter much.

This query is specifically for GAA training so stuck it in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

you will be doing loads of running all season, so for the sake of your body I would cut back on it as overuse injuries are a huge problem in the GAA

better to improve anaerobic training - circuit type exercises and strength training.

Was 2 1/2 stone overweight and hadn't played for 3 years so it's necessary for me to do this work before I go back. I started in October and about 5 lbs off ideal weight at the moment, and quite fit cardiovascularly.

Would of been stupid not to arrive fit for new season so as that I can have a chance to make team. First impressions and all that. I play midfield so running big part of my game.
    County teams do serious running at this time of year so don't know why everyone is discouraging it!

Does anyone have an insight as to which running distance is best?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Aren't you better off strengthening up your legs to help aid that injured knee?
    Long distance running will place a lot of strain on your knee. You can get your bodyweight down without long distance running.
    Generally for field sports the distances run have dropped and dropped as sports science knowledge has improved.
    There are numerous articles showing long slow running reduces explosiveness and leg strength. So you will be slow over the first 10 yards, you will jump lower and you will be less able to break out from tackles after catching the ball. I know the Kerry team under Pat Flanagan never ran more than 200m as a continuous distance.
    Actually you could do good 3/4 pace reps of 200m and that will get your weight down while not impacting on your power so much. But that long running will convert some muscle fibres to slower twitch and also reduce muscle mass.
    Circuit training is excellent as well. Builds stamina while maintaining or increasing muscle mass. Flexibility stuff as well will give you a speed boost.
    Finally the area no one ever wants to look at to get weight down, diet. Can't out train a bad diet. I don't know your diet but usually most people can improve.
    This is just various bits and pieces I'v gleaned from various sources. I do know with certainty that long distance running does not suit Gaelic football.

• Advertisement

Thanks I guess your probably right. However I did find before that it helped a lot just running 7 km. I could run and run on the field without getting out of breath, covering back and running forward. training starts next week so cutting down on the running now. Running distance has definitely helped me get fit though, and swimming. My diet has been very strict only eating eggs chicken and steak, it has worked as I've completely transformed myself physically.

I've found that by now eating carbs the day before training/ day of training, I feel extremely energised as I'm used to training hard on just a protein diet. So without the actual energy I required. This was necessary to lose the weight. I've worked hard on core strength and upper body strength.

fair play on the weight loss

weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise and then 100% consistency!

county teams do running at this time of year as they have pre season competitions and then the league.
    most of the players already have had 3 months weights sessions to get their bodies strong enough to withstand the playing and field training schedule
    club games won't kick in until April or May for you.

you'll be the best player in January to run around, and the most burnout and injured player in June.
    trust me. I've seen enough lads do it

I don't claim to be an expert but my 7 km runs have definitely got me in a good condition again to start training. The cardiovascular strength they give really stands to you as a midfielder.

My team is intermediate and only trains 2-3 a week. Training won't take as much out of me because of the fitness I built up.

Surely my GAA training will only develop this further. I've played a few games of AstroTurf recently and my performance at that has improved a lot as I have gotten fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭munster87

Well if it's working for you then stick with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

There are a few myth being peddled here about running. It won't damage your knees anymore than any activity unless you have poor joints or an underlying condition to begin with. It will help your football fitness tho 14k may be a bit too long. Football is a 60 or 70 minute game where players are almost l constantly moving. That movement can consist of multiples of walking jogging running and sprinting so stamina gained from runs will help you despite what any "expert" tells you. You won't lose power or explosiveness if you continue to also work on those as well. At no time ever in the history of gaa has any player ever sprinted for 200 meters in one go but most players are on the move constantly therefore stamina runs are useful in a rounded programme probably more useful and more specific than 200m sprints.. Trying to convince the newly graduated sport science brigade that have taken over all sports and replaced hard training with buzz word bull **** is another matter. Strength and conditioning has its place of course as sprinting too has its place but the injury burnout crisis is not due to over training but to wrong emphasis training.

• Advertisement

I agree with that. A lot of county teams do 3 mile runs at racetracks and stuff like that!!

It definitely helps aerobic fitness.

Ok.
    Best of luck with it

I'm just saying it will be a long year and I always try and avoid running this time of year as I know it is coming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Building up your long distance is all well and good but as an above poster has already stated, you will never be running 1) that distance and 2) in the nature during a game or training.
    I'm similar, I'm great for running distances up to half marathon and can do it with minimal hassle but it just doesn't translate on the pitch where you are expected to burst for periods of up to 35/45/50 metres. In between this the key is recovery. Can you blast at that pace, run flat out (to receive the ball) and then do it again in a short space of time again, consistently.

What I've taken to doing is starting at the goalpost, jog out to the corner flag then up the side line to the 13m line and then on turning sprint full tilt to the other side of the pitch to the other side line, then when you get there cut it down to walking but staying on your toes, turn up the sideline and take this time to recover, control breathing, then once you hit the 20m line, turn and again blast to the other side. Continue this all the way up the pitch. It starts hard and finishes hard but when you are in the middle of the pitch you get a greater recovery.

I've also incorporated doing this with ball in hand and soloing the ball too (dropping it half way through). Shorter sprints, short recovery and do that to failure. Good luck

Advertisement