Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uk pension

Options
  • 13-01-2016 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello,
    I am presently an adult dependant on my better half, who is claiming jobseekers allowance. I applied for disability allowance in July last, was refused, appealed, and just received notification of allowance of the appeal.
    She has reached retirement age and will be getting full UK contributary pension starting this month (£123/week). She also has a work pension of £320 a month.
    Will her contributary pension be classed as means against my disabiltiy allowance? Should she be topped up to the full Irish pension?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I cant answer the question about being topped up but her UK contributory pension will be assessed as means against your DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bertpear

Thanks for replying eastbono.

I'm trying to understand the means test.
    We have no means from savings.
    As to cash income that would be as above about 220 euros.
    Is this then divided in half and deducted from the DA giving a resulting DA payment of about €88?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If your spouse is in receipt of a social welfare payment then the means will be halved but if not then the full €220 will be applied AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bertpear

Thanks again, looks like wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You would be very wise to call Citizens Information and/or read their excellent web site. I get my UK pension here and it is means tested for anything I get here eg household benefits, living alone etc. I was on UK disability when I moved here then went on to UK pension so the long term incapacity was handed on to the pension office. The more open you are and the more info you have the better. I get Mobility Allowance UK and had checked very carefully that this would be paid when I came to Ireland. But when I reached pension age, someone in the UK office made a bad error and told me Mobility could not be paid here and they would be taking ten sterling a week off my pension. I knew enough to prove them wrong. Citizens info were a great help then and on other matters. Better than second guessing and they do make errors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement