Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Watch out for the cost on front and rear Nissan Leaf parking sensors

Options
  • 13-01-2016 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I just realised that the price Nissan web site quotes for their original front and rear parking sensors does *not* include the full cost of their installation. Apparently Nissan only let the dealer spend about an hour on the install, and it is more time consuming. Expect to pay for the extra labour!

Web site says:
    Front Main Kit: KE512-99901 + Front Sub Kit C: KE512-99940 = €310.
    Rear Main Kit: KE511-99901 = €450.

However, you need to add another €150 or more for each install.

I wish Nissan would not deceive about this on their web site. It does not surprise me now that some dealers refuse to install Nissan original sensors, and most prefer to use 3rd party ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fastpud

I was quoted 600 all in for front and back, dealer installed and colour coordinated. Looks like you are being ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

That wouldn't be Nissan original kit, but 3rd party. Those can be very cheap, indeed, I got your quote too, but prefer to pay more for Nissan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Do you really need the sensors? The rear camera is angled perfectly to see the rear bumper. And on SVE the around cameras do the rest. Parking sensors sound really 90's tech..

samih wrote: »
    Do you really need the sensors? The rear camera is angled perfectly to see the rear bumper. And on SVE the around cameras do the rest. Parking sensors sound really 90's tech..

Yes, I do. Cars are really 1800's tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

samih wrote: »

I'm amazed they didn't put sensors on at least the SV and SVE models - major omission on such a 'tech' car. Sensors definitely much more useful than a camera - they allow you to look outside the car while still being aware of what's behind, rather than having your head buried in the dash. My previous car had both and I paid much more attention to the sensors - as I found to my cost less than 24 hours after getting the Leaf, when I reversed into a gate! :mad::(

edit: and am I right in thinking that the 'new' Leaf now comes with sensors, or did I imagine that?

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm just not used to sensors but have to say that in the past 5 months with "around the car view" the thought of needing the sensors have never ever occurred to me until today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I'd much prefer sensors to the AVM.

I guess the visibility from Leaf is quite bad so every little heps. Personally I think the A pillars are downright dangerous. It's amazing that the design got through to the final product.

edit: and am I right in thinking that the 'new' Leaf now comes with sensors, or did I imagine that?

It does not. It is still a "dealer installed accessory option" which means nissan.ie quote a price for it, dealer installs, but watch out for the extra costs of install, if you go with the Nissan original kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fastpud

Very nearly dinged the demo as I was focusing in the camera screen so it's a no brainier for me.
    600 worth of repairs is easily reached if you bump something.

• Advertisement

The camera is brilliant, it only takes a glance to make sure you're not near anything.

The camera gives you a far better view all around the car and if you press the camera button it gives you different views and it shows how close you are to kerbs. It's actually brilliant for parallel parking.

My brothers A4 has all around parking sensors and he says he'd love to rip them out that it drives him insane with all the bloody beeping and I have to agree, it's horrendously annoying !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I'm surprised that you can't order it as a factory fitted option. Most other companies offer that. Another reason to rethink the leaf. Thanks OP for the heads up.

I wouldn't have a car without sensors. On a dark dank wet day with the cameras covered in muck you'd be happy to hear the reassuring tone of the parking sensors.

TBi wrote: »

I wouldn't have a car without sensors. On a dark dank wet day with the cameras covered in muck you'd be happy to hear the reassuring tone of the parking sensors.

Well that's true too, the dark and muddy cameras.

I clean them every time I put the charge lead in the boot. It only takes a second or two to clean the front and rear, the ones in the mirrors don't get that dirty.

I'd settle for rear sensors but not all around sensors like on the Audi, they would drive you mad !

I think the technologies complement each other. Sensors let me pay attention to what's around me the traditional way: looking through the windows. Camera is excellent for centring between car park lines, kerbs etc. I like to have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I clean them every time I put the charge lead in the boot. It only takes a second or two to clean the front and rear, the ones in the mirrors don't get that dirty.
    Never have to worry about cleaning parking sensors.
    I'd settle for rear sensors but not all around sensors like on the Audi, they would drive you mad !

Have all round on the beemer. They are fantastic. Maybe the implementation is different from the audi. They only come on when reversing and there is a button to quickly turn them off.

Advertisement