Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Razzies 2016

Options
  • 13-01-2016 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,492 ✭✭✭✭

A bit of a gimmick, but it's always fun to see what (and who) gets nominated (apart from the ubiquitous Adam Sandler) :)

WORST PICTURE
    Fantastic Four
    Fifty Shades of Grey
    Jupiter Ascending
    Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2
    Pixels

WORST ACTOR
    Johnny Depp, Mortdecai
    Jamie Dornan, Fifty Shades of Grey
    Kevin James, Paul Blart Mall Cop 2
    Adam Sandler, The Cobbler and Pixels
    Channing Tatum, Jupiter Ascending

WORST ACTRESS
    Katherine Heigl, Home Sweet Hell
    Dakota Johnson, Fifty Shades of Grey
    Mila Kunis, Jupiter Ascending
    Jennifer Lopez, The Boy Next Door
    Gwyneth Paltrow, Mortdecai

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Chevy Chase, Hot Tub Time Machine 2 and Vacation
    Josh Gad, Pixels and The Wedding Ringer
    Kevin James, Pixels
    Jason Lee, Alvin & The Chipmunks: Road Chip
    Eddie Redmayne, Jupiter Ascending

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, Alvin & The Chipmunks: Road Chip and The Wedding Ringer
    Rooney Mara, Pan
    Michelle Monaghan, Pixels
    Julianne Moore, Seventh Son
    Amanda Seyfried, Love the Coopers and Pan

WORST REMAKE/RIP-OFF/SEQUEL
    Alvin & The Chipmunks: Road Chip
    Fantastic Four
    Hot Tub Time Machine 2
    Human Centipede 3 (Final Sequence)
    Paul Blart Mall Cop 2

WORST SCREEN COMBO
    All Four “Fantastics,” Fantastic Four
    Johnny Depp and His Glued-On Moustache, Mortdecai
    Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson, Fifty Shades of Grey
    Kevin James and EITHER His Segue OR His Glued-On Moustache, Paul Blart Mall Cop 2
    Adam Sandler and Any Pair of Shoes, The Cobbler

WORST DIRECTOR
    Andy Fickman, Paul Blart Mall Cop 2
    Tom Six, Human Centipede 3 (Final Sequence)
    Sam Taylor-Johnson, Fifty Shades of Grey
    Josh Trank, Fantastic Four
    Andy and Lana Wachowski, Jupiter Ascending

WORST SCREENPLAY
    Fantastic Four (screenplay by Simon Kinberg, Jeremy Slater and Josh Trank, Based on the Marvel comic book by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby)
    Fifty Shades of Grey (screenplay by Kelly Marcel, Based on the Novel by E.L. James)
    Jupiter Ascending (written by Andy and Lana Wachowski)
    Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 (screenplay by Kevin James & Nick Bakay)
    Pixels (screenplay by Tim Herlihy and Timothy Dowling, Story by Herlihy, Based on a Work by Patrick Jean)

RAZZIE REDEEMER AWARD
    Elizabeth Banks (RAZZIE “Winner” for MOVIE 47, Multiple Hit Movies This Year)
    M. Night Shyamalan (Perennial RAZZIE nominee & “winner,” director of The Visit)
    Will Smith (For following up After Earth with Concussion)
    Sylvester Stallone (All-Time RAZZIE Champ, award contender for Creed)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Dont get the hate for pixels. It was a good family flick. Think if sandler wasnt in it it wouldnt of got nominated

• Registered Users Posts: 55,492 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I thought pixels was good fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

The Razzie Redeemer award is a nice idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The razzies are as much of a farce as the Academy Awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,329 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

is Jupiter Ascending really that bad ? have not seen it yet, but it was one i had planned to sit down and watch one of these nights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,372 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

2smiggy wrote: »
    is Jupiter Ascending really that bad ? have not seen it yet, but it was one i had planned to sit down and watch one of these nights

It is nowhere near bad enough to be up for a razzie. It has some really interesting ideas and great visuals. It is also very ambitious though it doesnt quite reach the heights of that ambition. Eddie Redmayne chews the scenery gloriously. Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis are pretty. which is all that can be expected of them. Most importantly Sean Bean doesnt die, which is always a good thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,176 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a mess, but not terrible & certainly not a years-worst imo: just needlessly convoluted and way, wayyyy too earnest in the script. I suspect the Wachowskis really believed in the universe they were writing, to the point of being completely humourless about it & letting the mythology overwhelm the story.

If nothing else though, it's a fantastic film to look at: the visuals are great, from the sets and costumes, to the technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Its never about the worst, it's about the most underwhelming or the most disappointing or the most cynical moneygrab. Jaysus theres hundreds of (literally) unwatchable stuff released every year.

Arghus wrote: »
    The razzies are as much of a farce as the Academy Awards.

You're not supposed to take them seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

The inclusion of Dakota Johnson is pretty unfair (again taking everything into account).
    It's a terrible movie, mainly due to a woeful script and one of the worst acting performances I've ever seen in Jamie Dornan, but Dakota Johnson is actually "likable" in it. It's no great performance or anything, but considering this is a category famously won by Halle Berry, it seems harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Dodge wrote: »
    You're not supposed to take them seriously

No! You don't say! Here I was ranking them alongside the Nobels all these years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I really liked Jupiter Ascending and Mortdecai. Johnny Depp and "His Glued-On Moustache" were hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Arghus wrote: »
    No! You don't say! Here I was ranking them alongside the Nobels all these years...

Well you did compare them to the oscars so....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i wonder will anyone show up to collect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I thought Pixels was pretty horrendous really, for the wacky story it should have been a lot more fun to watch than it actually was, which is a sin itself. The jokes were pretty poorly written too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The same people behind these awards are the same that mock Hollywood for been so safe with a lot of their mainstream offerings and these nominations are the definition of shooting fish in a barrel.

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I wonder why ridiculous 6 wasnt nominated? i nearly prefer this to the oscars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Fantastic Four & Jupiter Ascending > Jurassic World & Spectre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Actually watched this recently. Why do some actors agree to work with Adam Sandler? Nick Nolte you have credit, 3 Oscar nominations, why? Adam Sandler once had credit (Happy Gilmore, The Waterboy) look at him now!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,917 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

LCD wrote: »
    Actually watched this recently. Why do some actors agree to work with Adam Sandler? Nick Nolte you have credit, 3 Oscar nominations, why? Adam Sandler once had credit (Happy Gilmore, The Waterboy) look at him now!

Did Netflix give a lot of money to Sandler and his pals for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It's awful and Eddie Redmayne is fully deserving of the worst supporting actor award. He was dreadful!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,176 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Without verifying, I'm presuming the Razzies only count cinematic releases, and Ridiculous 6 only appeared on Netflix; it never got a release in cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,372 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's awful and Eddie Redmayne is fully deserving of the worst supporting actor award. He was dreadful!!!

Redmayne was absolutely wonderful. the star of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

It's equal parts noisy and stupid, I really haven't seen a worse film that wasn't directed by Michael Bay in quite some time. Worst of all, it's a bore. I'd been willing to give the Wachowskis a break but this left me swearing never again!, which almost made me miss out on 'Sense 8', because after that film I had discounted them as has-been hacks. On that account I was wrong, Sense 8 might be a really slow burner, but it is both a cracking character study and sci-fi extravaganza that left me wondering how the same people could have possibly have been responsible for Jupiter Ascending.

Perhaps it was the low expectations but I actually thought the Fantastic 4 reboot was.... ok, certiantly not worth all the vitrol poured on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Redmayne was absolutely wonderful. the star of the show.

Redmayne was having a great time. Sean Bean played the part of Eric the half a bee competently.

Tatum and Kunis were disastrous; looking pretty and reciting lines is not acting.

The visuals were nice, but the pace was rather creaky - if it had moved along at with Force Awakens energy, I wouldn't have had time to dwell on all the nonsense.

Even the jokes were played too seriously.

So, not great. But certainly nowhere near a Years Worst list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

conorhal wrote: »
    It's equal parts noisy and stupid, I really haven't seen a worse film that wasn't directed by Michael Bay in quite some time. Worst of all, it's a bore. I'd been willing to give the Wachowskis a break but this left me swearing never again!, which almost made me miss out on 'Sense 8', because after that film I had discounted them as has-been hacks. On that account I was wrong, Sense 8 might be a really slow burner, but it is both a cracking character study and sci-fi extravaganza that left me wondering how the same people could have possibly have been responsible for Jupiter Ascending.

Same here. I loved Sense8 and nearly completely sidestepped it because of Jupiter Ascending.

Advertisement