Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Frame towing

Options
  • 12-01-2016 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Anybody here got experience with a small car on an A frame behind the camper? I'm talking of the fully EU legal one with brakes etc. Seem to be plenty in UK/Europe but haven't seen any here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

digger58 wrote: »
    Anybody here got experience with a small car on an A frame behind the camper? I'm talking of the fully EU legal one with brakes etc. Seem to be plenty in UK/Europe but haven't seen any here.
    Even if the frame is fixed to the car and the insurance accept it as a trailer as opposed to a towed car you'll most likely be over 3500kg and need an EB licence. Insurance here wants the car to be on a trailer as far as I know but you can take it to the Insurance Federation if they refuse to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

EU directives say it's a trailer, that's why you need to have it braked and display 2 reflective triangles ! My car is over the 750Kgs so has to be braked, any car under 750 Kgs would not need to be braked as per the trailer legislation. Insurance says I can pull a trailer. Of course the A frame is attached to the car, how else would it work? Licence issue is Ok, weight is of the towing vehicle, agreed you need the trailer licence, I'm really interested in contacting somebody who has/had one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Of course the A frame is attached to the car, how else would it work?

I meant rigidly attached as opposed to straps / chains.

http://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/topic.php?p=76156#real76156

OK, I would not have great faith in the straps for a long journey anyway.! Still investigating my options, there are fully manual systems then the electric systems with vacuum and a compressor for the brake actuator. Have you come across any here? Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Saw a french family this year on a campsite with a nice little lightweight trailer behind their Iveco based camper. It had a light frame covered with a fitted tarpaulin.
    They had a Messerschmit bubble car in it!

Now I know this would be a lighter load than a, for example, Peugeot 106 or Smart car etc., but at least a trailer would be easier than organising an A frame with brakes.
    My concern with towing would be mainly based around clutch wear etc.
    ps. I see that a Messerschmitt K200 only weights 230kg.

• Advertisement

Clutch wear will happen with a trailer or A frame! I am not gone on having a trailer to look after when I want to go somewhere, that's why the A frame idea is in my head at the moment. I already have a very nice Brian James trailer but it's too awkward for holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

A trailer would seem to be the more popular choice. Generally I have seen more people with trailers than a frames. One upside of a trailer is that it can be used for any car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

*Kol* wrote: »
    One upside of a trailer is that it can be used for any car.

An A frame is far more versatile than a trailer, it is far more economical to tow a car via an A frame than via a trailer.

*Kol* wrote: »
    A trailer would seem to be the more popular choice. Generally I have seen more people with trailers than a frames. One upside of a trailer is that it can be used for any car.

My trailer was bought for a classic, I took it one day to collect a P 307 and that wouldn't fit! So not any car will fit, and mine is a twin axle !

My trailer was bought for a classic, I took it one day to collect a P 307 and that wouldn't fit! So not any car will fit, and mine is a twin axle !

Any small car that you would be towing behind you on holidays. Generally not a family saloon.

• Advertisement

An A frame is far more versatile than a trailer, it is far more economical to tow a car via an A frame than via a trailer.

How much more economical would it be?

Can't see there being a lot in the difference trailer V A Frame! Trailer is definitely more weight. Not too bothered about that side of things anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Granted an A frame a lot handier stored whilst on campsite, you could slide it under the motorhome if you had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Ever considered putting the car in front :D That way you can have a nice big SUV for local touring while the motorcaravan is pitched up ;)

Advertisement