Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Summer Internship/Research Project

Options
  • 12-01-2016 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm a third year chemistry student and and I'm looking for either an internship or research project to participate in during the summer (2016). Anyone have any suggestions as to where I'd find something an opportunity like this, preferably within Ireland if possible ! I'd be primarily interested in inorganic/pharmaceutical chemistry rather than physical if that helps at all.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I'm a third year chemistry student and and I'm looking for either an internship or research project to participate in during the summer (2016). Anyone have any suggestions as to where I'd find something an opportunity like this, preferably within Ireland if possible ! I'd be primarily interested in inorganic/pharmaceutical chemistry rather than physical if that helps at all.
    Thanks!

Where do you live, what course are you taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dangerzone123

Chemistry in TCD and live in Dublin but am willing to commute !

I work in various pharma companies and most would employ 3rd year students fir between 3 and 6 months.
    I'm based in cork mainly.

Does your university have links with any pharma companies? I know when I was studying we had a number of companies come in to do interviews.

They don't seem to have any links with any pharma companies apart from a year long project from GSK that was mainly for MedChem students, I'm personally looking for something that's for the length of the summer but am finding it difficult to find anything on the web! Would there be a large number of opportunities to apply to in Cork?

Does your 3rd year finish in march/April?
    Most of the companies in cork would employ students but most would be arranged through the collage.

• Advertisement

It doesn't finish until May so I'd be looking to start something in June. I'll chance my arm at emailing a few of the companies in Cork and see how I get on. Thanks for the info :)

CIT would finish at the end of march and most students would find placement in industry from Apr till September so you might find it hard to find placement later in the year.

I will ask over the next week in places I'm in to see if they consider such time lines.
    My friend is a manager in a lab where they hire 3 students each year so will ask him too.

Thank you so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Ask your own lecturers, many of them are usually willing to take on some summer students... you will get to work in with their PhD students for the summer, usually on a reasonably interesting project.

If not try asking some lecturers in other colleges/universities.

Advertisement