Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather colours

Options
  • 12-01-2016 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Sorry for asking such a basic question, but the charts that are shown in the cold weather expected thread, how do we find out what the different colours mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Hi lads,

Sorry for asking such a basic question, but the charts that are shown in the cold weather expected thread, how do we find out what the different colours mean?

Depends which charts Roy. Some of the charts are charts showing temps at 850hpa (equates to about 1500m altitude I think) or uppers as sometimes known. To get temp at ground level add roughly 9 or 10 degrees to these uppers. Very roughly you need uppets of ca. -8 for snow.

Some of the charts are the atmospheric charts showing high and low pressure. The clours on those usually shows thickness of certain bands of atmospheric pressure (i think?). Out of my depth at this point to be honest..... I use 850hpa charts as I can follow them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Curious about this too as regards to these kinds of charts:

gfs-0-210.png?12

I understand the isobars and units of pressure (at sea level from the translation), but I don't know what the colours represent, or what the unit of their scale is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

MJohnston wrote: »
    Curious about this too as regards to these kinds of charts:

I understand the isobars and units of pressure (at sea level from the translation), but I don't know what the colours represent, or what the unit of their scale is.

Thats geopotential height, its the approx height of the pressure surface above mean sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Thats geopotential height, its the approx height of the pressure surface above mean sea level.

Thanks, "A Beginner's Guide To Reading Winter Charts" is good, but I wasn't sure what bits of it referred to on these kinds of charts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Many thanks for the replies, will read that thread linked over the weekend,

Roy

Advertisement