Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real life 30 - 40 minute commute to Dublin?

Options
  • 12-01-2016 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'm talking door to door here, at regular office work hours. Using the Spire on O'Connell St as the example 'work' location.
    Assume driving is out due to lack of parking at work.

Trying to figure out a realistic location for buying a 'normal' house (ignore budget for the sake of this argument though) and as I'm only familiar with the specific parts of Dublin I happen to have rented in, so there may be huge sections of the city/county I've not considered or certain Dublin bus/Bus Eireann/private bus routes that are much better than others for example

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If you cycle a 40 minute commute would bring you as far as Sandycove/Dalkey/Tallaght/Citywest/Blanch/Leixlip probably more Northside places that I wouldn't be sure of.
    Public Transport wise then if you're within a 5 minute walk of a DART station you could probably live anywhere from Sandycove to Kilbarrack. Not sure about Luas lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

33x is <40 mins in from Rush
    33d even less from Donabate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

rush?
    i live near DCU and budget 30 mins to get in to college green from here, on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

rush?
    i live near DCU and budget 30 mins to get in to college green from here, on the bus.

But if you're on a bus which uses the port tunnel it cuts out a lot of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

33x is <40 mins in from Rush
    33d even less from Donabate

Never used either of these buses but I do cycle across the Eastlink every morning and there seem to be regular delays on the North quays heading from the port into town. Are these buses affected much on this stretch (assuming they use the tunnel and this route into town)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Realistically cycling for 40 minutes into the city you will be limited to a MAXIMUM of 10 miles from city centre so you could use this as your limit if considering the bike. You wont regularly average more than 15mph going into city centre even assuming you are reasonably fit. Some routes are quicker than others but between 7 and 10 miles from the Spire should be achievable in 40 minutes on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Do you actually work at the Spire?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Logicost31

loyatemu wrote: »
    Do you actually work at the Spire?
    Haha, no, just wanted to pick a central point so that people could answer accurately based on their experiences. So if a train to Connolly was suggested for example, another 8 minutes or so could be factored in for getting to the spire.

Cycling options are interesting, but the public transport options would be more what I was thinking as I don't like cycling in Dublin traffic, nowhere safe at work to lock up a bike and no showers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Allowing 40 minutes:

Trains:
    OK - so allowing for an 8 minute walk to/from Connolly or Tara St (depending upon which direction you're coming from), the following would all allow a 40 minute commute:

DART/Northern Line: Anywhere from Rush/Howth inwards
    DART/Southeastern Line: Anywhere from Dalkey inwards
    Western Line: Anywhere from Coolmine inwards

LUAS:
    Red Line: Anywhere from Belgard inwards
    Green Line: Anywhere from Sandyford inwards (allowing 15 minute walk from SSG)

Dublin Bus (Excluding Xpresso services):
    Allowing for maybe 10 minutes walking, anywhere within a ring bounded by:
    Raheny, Coolock, Santry, Ballymun, Finglas, Ashtown, Chapelizod, Palmerstown (25a/25b & Xpresso only), Ballyfermot, Crumlin, Terenure, Clonskeagh, UCD and Booterstown

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Logicost31

Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thank you.
    lxflyer wrote: »
    Allowing 40 minutes:

Trains:
    OK - so allowing for an 8 minute walk to/from Connolly or Tara St (depending upon which direction you're coming from), the following would all allow a 40 minute commute:

LUAS:

Raheny, Coolock, Santry, Ballymun, Finglas, Ashtown, Chapelizod, Palmerstown (25a/25b & Xpresso only), Ballyfermot, Crumlin, Terenure, Clonskeagh, UCD and Booterstown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Allowing 40 minutes:

Trains:

DART/Northern Line: Anywhere from Rush inwards

Although you will need to factor time in getting to the station at Rush and Lusk
    It's 2km to Lusk, and 4km to Rush

Whereas Donabate or Skerries stations are in their towns.

If you're working south of the river, say Grand Canal or Ballsbridge, then Bray or Shankill may be an option (and probably cheaper to buy in than most points closer to town).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Allowing 40 minutes:

Trains:

LUAS:

Western line: I'd say anywhere from clonsilla inwards

Edit..this is really good btw

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

don't forget the Luas lines will be linking up soon, knocking 10-15 minutes or so off current commute times from the current Green line in to O'Connell Street...

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

When considering Dublin Bus you've got to factor in 10 mins at least waiting at the bus stop for a bus with room.

You might get on a bus straight away but you might not. If your route is serving a school or if it's raining, etc. you may see several full buses fly past ...

don't forget the Luas lines will be linking up soon, knocking 10-15 minutes or so off current commute times from the current Green line in to O'Connell Street...

google says its a 14 minute walk from SSG stop to the Spire, I doubt the Luas will actually be much quicker than this.

amdublin wrote: »
    Western line: I'd say anywhere from clonsilla inwards

Edit..this is really good btw

I was allowing walking time to the station as well, that's why I chose Coolmine.

But thanks for the kind words!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If you're working south of the river, say Grand Canal or Ballsbridge, then Bray or Shankill may be an option (and probably cheaper to buy in than most points closer to town).
    I think the DARTs are actually getting slower if that was possible, 50 minutes from Bray when it used to be 40 when I moved up here first, anyway Im pretty much as fast into town on my bike as getting a DART when the weathers good these days, if there was good cycling infrastructure that meant I didn't have to constantly stop for cars and buses in my path Id be twice as fast from Bray/Shankhill, if you get to the DART station and have a 10-15 minute wait Ill be in town long before you, coupled with the fact that Tara and Connelly are useless locations for a lot of people requiring another bus or LUAS to get to their destination.

Thargor wrote: »
    I think the DARTs are actually getting slower if that was possible, 50 minutes from Bray when it used to be 40 when I moved up here first, anyway Im pretty much as fast into town on my bike as getting a DART when the weathers good these days, if there was good cycling infrastructure that meant I didn't have to constantly stop for cars and buses in my path Id be twice as fast from Bray/Shankhill, if you get to the DART station and have a 10-15 minute wait Ill be in town long before you, coupled with the fact that Tara and Connelly are useless locations for a lot of people requiring another bus or LUAS to get to their destination.

it's scheduled 40 mins Bray-Pearse and it does run on time maybe 50% of journeys IME (not in leaf-fall season though). That's increasing to 45 mins in the new "improved" timetable.

it's scheduled 40 mins Bray-Pearse and it does run on time maybe 50% of journeys IME (not in leaf-fall season though). That's increasing to 45 mins in the new "improved" timetable.

The increased running times frankly are more likely to be an acceptance of reality.

If it's only achieved 50% of the time outside leaf-fall season, then realistically it's unachievable.

I'd prefer a timetable that reflects reality rather than being aspirational.

• Advertisement

or they could look into the reasons for the late services, such as the dawdling dwell times. 40 minutes is already slow, it used to be 35... but this is an argument for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

To be as slow as a bicycle though, its a joke.

Thargor wrote: »
    To be as slow as a bicycle though, its a joke.
    Well unless you can find a magic way of increasing line speeds around Killiney Head and between Glenageary and Dún Laoghaire, there's not an awful lot that can be done about it.

or they could look into the reasons for the late services, such as the dawdling dwell times. 40 minutes is already slow, it used to be 35... but this is an argument for another thread.
    The scheduled dwell times for DART trains at stations outside of the city centre is 30 seconds, and one minute at each of the three stations in the city centre.

If trains are waiting longer than that then it's either down to more people boarding/exiting than can be done in 30 seconds, or the train facing a red signal due to another train causing a delay.

If it is the former, then there isn't a solution other than lengthening the journey time. If it is the latter, there may well be headway issues, which again may require timetable changes.

The 35 minute journey time that you are quoting also date back to when there were less trains passing through the city centre section - that is going to have a knock on effect, along with the extra station at Grand Canal Dock. Speed restrictions may also have changed - the RSC have been imposing changes upon the railway company.

As I said, I'd far prefer a reliable timetable, than one that is going to continually fall down.

Advertisement