Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Macbook pro

Options
  • 12-01-2016 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Not overly up to speed with laptops or apple products.... All my phones are and have been Android and all previous computers have been windows.

Considering a macbook pro at the moment. Ideally the 15" with the i7 and 16gb ram but more realistically will probably be looking at the 13" i5 with 8gb ram.

Some research suggests that a new line of macbooks may be launched possibly in March or maybe June. It's said that they will have the latest version of Intel processor. This has me considering whether to wait and buy a new one, or possibly wait and buy the current one if it becomes 'the old one' in just a few months.

Just wondering would the current macbook (the 2015 models) likely be heavily discounted once the new one is launched? Does anyone know what has happened to the prices of an outdated machine in the past when a new macbook has been released? Would a discount likely be 100 quid off a 1500 machine or would it be something more substantial?

Also wondering whether it is worth taking the discounted older model, if that happens. I'm likely to hold onto the laptop for several years so wondering whether it might be best to have the latest version to give it the best chance of staying reasonably fresh for a bit longer.

Lots of questions but the price of one of these is a fairly big outlay for me so just weighing up the options.

Thanks for any comments!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Very expensive for what they are generally. Well actually that's not so true these days, better to say they're way more expensive than they need to be.

At the end of the day price shouldn't be that much of a consideration when buying a mac, they don't represent good value for money. I also doubt they discount the older models that much as to do so would devalue the brand. I base that off the insane price of second hand models, I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I just bought the 13" version today and love it.
    I could have waited for the new version which potentially could feature intel skylake processors which currently have issues or there's rumours potentially of Apple using their own A10x processor for the new ones.
    Either way I'd have been waiting at least 2-5 months so said to hell with it and took the plunge.
    Are they expensive? Hell yes...but you compare a windows laptop with the same build quality and specs i.e. Dell XPS13 etc and the Surface book and the prices are all pretty much similar for that level of build quality.

Reasons to love the macbook? Battery life is absolutely stonking and no windows machine comes close to them. Its just that Windows is a battery hog and if you put windows on your macbook you'll see the same falloff in battery.
    Build quality...macbook pro is extremely solid..its like a hewn piece of steel in your hands except its aluminium.
    Also they hold their value extremely well.
    Another reason--the touchpad..I hated touchpads with a passion for years on all my windows laptops but coming to the macbook the touchpads are magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Very expensive for what they are generally. Well actually that's not so true these days, better to say they're way more expensive than they need to be.

At the end of the day price shouldn't be that much of a consideration when buying a mac, they don't represent good value for money. I also doubt they discount the older models that much as to do so would devalue the brand. I base that off the insane price of second hand models, I'm open to correction.

Price shouldn't be a consideration? They range from about 1k to 3.5k....!

Do you have any suggestions as to what represents good value as opposed to a macbook pro? Something like i7, 16gb ram and a very high quality screen, light weight and ssd drive? I can pick up the apple with that for around €1700.

I'm using it for photo processing and am led to believe that the apple is excellent. I've only used windows in the past so no bias towards apple at all and happy to look around if there's something that represents similar performance for a lot less money.

I've read that a lot of the laptops running Windows just buy huge amounts of whatever the cheapest components are and lash them all together. They they aren't necessarily designed as one whole system to work together etc, but rather are just a mish mash of whatever components are available. Whereas the apple machines are supposedly purpose built so to speak....

This is just based on some hours on Google, so could be pure rubbish I'm reading. I'm certainly not brain washed and going to buy an apple Mac at any cost.

Thanks

Price shouldn't be a consideration in so far as you've decided Mac is the best for what you need (in some cases they are, but more because one is used to them at this stage).

In regard to components there is some truth to the position that macs are better built but there are PC manufacturers that do it just as well now, you just need to look for reviews. The issue with mac is there are issues with proprietary components and some form over function design choices - for example the use of a 4790K in the imac which perma-throttles due to lack of cooling. The concern there is (other than poor value) is how long will it last operating at that temp.

All that said, you're doing your research so that's all you need to do really. They're nice machines, but one can go too far in looking at build quality and service, which are both good but not necessarily the best of the best in the apple offering. As for the components working together that's more down to apple's software than anything else. The GPUs, CPUs and SSDs are all 3rd party, about all they do themselves is custom PCBs for the internals, whether they're any better than someone like ASUS is debatable.

On screens - don't get fixated on resolution - does the screen (on any brand) have the colour space/calibration you want.

On a suggested machine - I'll have a dig for you once I'm at work and have loads of time to browse the web ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Sham Squire

Just to chime in with personal experience:
    I own a 2009 MBP (15") and it's the best purchase I've ever made. Don't know why anyone who has actually used them would say they aren't good value for money. I'll explain exactly why I think they are excellent value for money:
    1. They work better. I teach software to kids in schools. The company I work for has a fleet of macbooks and the same number of PC laptops. Specs are similar. PC's were cheaper. The macs work far better. Everything from startup speed to less crashes to setting up of the programs to, well, everything. They just work more seamlessly and with less trouble than the PCs. Processer speeds and RAM might be comparable but in practice the Macs perform better.
    2. Built to last. I've had my MBP since 2009 (I bought it new from the Mac store) and it is still serving me well. The battery is not great anymore but on every other level of performance it's just as good as when I got it. During the same period of time my brother has gone through three PC laptops. That's not unusual. Friends have burned through a number of "just as good on paper" laptops over the same period. Most cannot believe that I'm still using the same laptop for pretty demanding operations after all this time.

I'm not an apple fanboy. I use an android phone. I use PC laptops for teaching. I don't own an iPod or iPad. I think apple as a company should be reprimanded for a number of business practices that are immoral IMO, BUT from personal experience; they make the best laptops. As long as the new models continue to be as well made as previous then I guarantee you won't regret your purchase.

• Advertisement

A lot has changed since 2009.

Mac's build quality has arguably gone down (from excellent to very good to be fair) while a huge number of PC manufacturers have gone up, hugely in some cases. Operating systems on the windows side have improved dramatically, as has driver support. Now Mac will always have an advantage there as they have a closed eco system but that isn't worth the trade off in my opinion.

Mac doesn't represent good value for someone who needs to update regularly. Perhaps, in the past, if you were planning to keep your daily driver for 5+ years there was no alternative there are now. If you're doing something like photo or video editing you're really only going to keep a machine for 3 or so years. What's the point in paying loads more for build quality to last 10+ years if it's going to be completely obsolete? That said there is a odd quirk in Ireland in the second hand market, which if you're willing to tap into could create a value for money situation, but objectively new v new, they're simply no good value. That's NOT to say they aren't an excellent product for all kinds of other reasons. An Aston Martin is crap value for money in objective terms as a car but I'd have one tomorrow if I could.

Thanks for all of those comments.

I would certainly hope to keep the laptop for 3 or 4 years.

Any views on whether it is worth holding out for these latest skylake processors? I've found a few UK websites now that are selling the macbook pro for over a hundred sterling less than the apple website.

Skylake, no point in waiting other than if it causes a nice price drop.

Also don't get me wrong - I hate mac - but, but! :pac: they have moved the industry on. All the gains in the PC space have been becuase it was sh1te before mac showed them how to do it.

Not sure I agree with this list as I'm not sure what a gaming GPU does for photo editing the intel HD iGPU can't but it might ideas:

https://www.wiknix.com/best-laptop-for-photo-editing/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Thanks for all of those comments.

I would certainly hope to keep the laptop for 3 or 4 years.

Any views on whether it is worth holding out for these latest skylake processors? I've found a few UK websites now that are selling the macbook pro for over a hundred sterling less than the apple website.

Intel are having issues with Skylake at the moment so it's more than likely we wouldn't see a new macbook till June.
    Apart from its ability to drive 3 x 4k monitors the rest is negligible and in fairness how many people will look to drive 3x4k monitors?http://motherboard.vice.com/read/intels-new-skylake-chip-is-good-but-thats-the-problem

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've been considering a move to a Macbook in the last year, mainly for the screen quality, and I want a UNIX environment that I can also use to run lightroom and the likes.

As for whether or not to wait, I think I would wait. The Macbook Pro hasn't really been updated that much in the last number of years. It retains the same basic chassis, and I would wonder if this gen will see a bigger jump. And the price of the older models will come down somewhat, perhaps by 100+. So if you can wait, then I would.

Another point to keep in mind, is that laptop spec in almost all machines, at least in terms of computing power, is pretty consistent. If your requirements are for general light usage, web browsing, video, office etc etc. You'd be just as happy on a 500€ laptop from 3/4 years ago, as you would on a brand new Macbook. And for the most part, photo processing is not intensive in terms of CPU and graphics processing. Although that really depends on what you're doing.

In my opinion the pluses to a Macbook Pro 13, are fantastic screen; most sub 1000 machines don't come close. Hardware is premium and generally robust. And performance is good for most uses.

And minus. Price; you'd get a i5 8GB 256GB Pro 13 for around 1400 on Amazon. Which is a lot of money, the pathetic SSD size, and not too fantastic RAM is annoying given the money.

• Advertisement

And minus. Price; you'd get a i5 8GB 256GB Pro 13 for around 1400 on Amazon. Which is a lot of money, the pathetic SSD size, and not too fantastic RAM is annoying given the money.

Thanks, I think I'll wait. Have no urgent need for a laptop and can view and process photos etc in a few months. Yeah it would kill me to pay 1400 for a machine with 8gb of ram. I think, if I go Mac, I'll save a bit extra and get the 15" with the higher spec.

Do you know if there's any way to tell what keyboard is on a particular macbook if you buy from a non apple seller? In some cases it is mentioned in the description and in others it isn't.... Read a few reviews on Amazon UK where a person received a US keyboard.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks, I think I'll wait. Have no urgent need for a laptop and can view and process photos etc in a few months. Yeah it would kill me to pay 1400 for a machine with 8gb of ram. I think, if I go Mac, I'll save a bit extra and get the 15" with the higher spec.

Do you know if there's any way to tell what keyboard is on a particular macbook if you buy from a non apple seller? In some cases it is mentioned in the description and in others it isn't.... Read a few reviews on Amazon UK where a person received a US keyboard.

I guess all you could do is ask the seller before you buy!

Advertisement