Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android TV boxes 1GB/8GB - are they any good?

Options
  • 12-01-2016 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013I4A2Y8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I bought two of these boxes hoping to set them up for my son and my father so that they could avail of all that these boxes are supposedly able to provide :confused:

I loaded a couple of popular apps (Mob???, Show???). Show??? allows me to select a film/series episode but then doesn't give me the option to watch/download. With Mob??? most of the channels don't work.

Worst of all, the Google Play store was accessible initially but now all I get is a blank screen.

So the question is ... Are these 1GB/8GB boxes any use or is the 1GB RAM a major issue? I see loads of similar spec boxes and loads of good reviews. BTW I've connected the box via wireless and ethernet with same results.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Never used that specific box, try a factory reset and start again. Those apps aren't allowed to be discussed on here, but they usually work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Hi Mike1961 Can u tell me if this box comes fully loaded ie with Kodi.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Kodi is available in the play store even if it is not installed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I don't care what anyone says but I've never had an issue with just having 1GB RAM on the TV sticks or boxes I use and I've sold at least 50 of them to friends and family. The important thing is to set them up right and configure everything properly and you shouldn't have a problem streaming anything. Different apps have different features, they won't all allow you to download or record.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Just in case you did'nt read that link in the OP, here iswhat it says about the box.

"KODI 14.2 XBMC Media Player: Cyclone Android X4 Bluetooth Edition users can experience rich entertainment from the XBMC KODI 14.2 media player. Stream from internet, network storage or playback digital media locally. KODI XBMC is fully compatible with Cyclone Android X4 player.
    KODI 14.2 XBMC Media Player: Cyclone Android X4 Bluetooth Edition users can experience rich entertainment from the XBMC KODI 14.2 media player. Stream from internet, network storage or playback digital media locally. KODI XBMC is fully compatible with Cyclone Android X4 player.
    HEVC-High Efficiency Video Coding: Cyclone Android X4 use the new H.265 video compression technology. H.265 has a higher compression ratio than the older H.264."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

Folks,

Thanks for the replies .. and just to give an update on my original moan. The box started behaving itself for whatever reason!!! Now I have access to the Play Store, updated to Kodi 15.2 and things are looking a lot rosier in the garden with some great add-ons working pretty well.

I was puzzled as to why the box was initially crap especially with many great reviews on Amazon .. but I'm a lot happier now.

Advertisement