Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planeing a sleeper to make a mantle

Options
  • 12-01-2016 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

folks,

I couldnt find a pine mantle the right size for our fireplace but while knocking around b&q I found a "sleeper" that is exactly the right size.
    I've dyed it the required colour to make sure its what we want and its perfect, except its rough
    So do I plane it or would I better off sanding the carp out of it to get the desired smooth finish ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If there is no grit in it then you could plane it with a hand plane. I wouldn't use a power plane on it as its a wide piece of timber and you'll probably put ruts in it you won't be able to get out. I'd probably belt sand it along the grain starting with a 60 grit and working down to a 240. If you can get it reasonably smooth then finish off with a cabinet scraper. You could even hire a floor sander for the job? But honestly don't know how much material you need to remove to smooth it out so can't say for sure whats best.

You'll also need to colour it again after getting a smooth finish.

Why not leave it rough or make it rougher?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Depending on if it's steam treated yellow pine which are the one's I've worked with before, you can use a disc & belt sander to take off most of the rough. It's extremely dusty though so do it in a ventilated space. Have you access to a planer thicknesses? I've never done it that way but it's something I've been looking at for working with sleepers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's a garden sleeper, would it be pressure treated? just something to bear in mind if planing & sanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP I think you need to tell us a bit more about this sleeper is it a genuine railway track tie or is it a big lump of virgin rough sawn pressure treated timber for use outside? If the latter its really quite and easy job with the right tools.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wouldn't be a genuine railway tie if being sold in B&Q; afaik they can't be sold as retail anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its the kind of thing that attracts the eye when you enter the room so it should be nice to look at. Have you considered asking one of the local sawmills to mill one out of oak for instance.?
    I have seem new sleepers in Woodies that have a dark brown look but I would think running them through a thicknesser ( with good extraction ! ) is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

my3cents wrote: »
    OP I think you need to tell us a bit more about this sleeper is it a genuine railway track tie or is it a big lump of virgin rough sawn pressure treated timber for use outside? If the latter its really quite and easy job with the right tools.

Its just a bit of rough pine

Advertisement