Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the Bible on Posing?

Options
  • 12-01-2016 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

As the title says can you give me your book recommendation as to what your Bible is when it comes to posing in a studio?
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I don't think there is one. There are plenty of books out there on the subject, but I've never found one that wasn't a waste of time.

What I've learned (the hard way) over the years, is to make sure that your subject is comfortable with you. Being a people person with a sense of humour comes in handy. I'm not that outgoing normally, but I can fake it when I need to. I ask lots of questions and genuinely try to get to know the person a little. I will often act like a complete nutter to try get some laughs. I tell terrible jokes all of the time, pull stupid faces and just generally make a fool of myself and it really does help people to let their guard down.

Once they've relaxed a bit, and I have all my lighting set, I just sort of let them be themselves. If it's a shot that's more than a headshot, I try to give them an environment to inhabit and encourage them to move around inside of this little scene I have created. For instance, sitting sideways on a chair, one elbow resting on the back of the chair, while both hands fiddle with each other (If the hands are in the shot, I try to have them doing something). Things like that can go a long way to make your portraits appear to be more natural.

Another thing to do, would be to collect images that contain a pose that you like, either online or from magazines. Save them to your phone and reference them during a shoot. Also, don't be afraid to just show the image/pose to your subject and say "do this".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i subscribe to the photography forum and the atheism & agnosticism forum. i'd thought this was from A&A at first and it certainly had me confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Seen a YouTube video recently (I think it might have been Mike Browne) and they recommend paying for an experienced model for a day or half a day and go through different poses with them and just have fun. An experienced model will teach you an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I generally aim for a stiff, uncomfortable, air to my portraits. I ask people to stand square to the camera and not smile. I find it does the trick :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Homer

What kind of posing are you talking about? Wedding or fashion/portrait? I don't think you'll find one that covers all the bases, as wedding posing is completely different to fashion/glamour etc. Youtube is your best option unless you want to pay for one?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I generally aim for a stiff, uncomfortable, air to my portraits. I ask people to stand square to the camera and not smile. I find it does the trick :-)

+1 For that. Works every time :-)

The%20Others_zpsa87bqyc5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Homer

To answer your question, I have found this book useful when I was starting out. But as mentioned, youtube contains lots of free info too!

51vi3fNrADL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Your on to a winner if there not looking mystically into the distance in a some what melancholy way :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I did find this;

31vBbLglVpL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I'd agree with YouTube and working with some experienced models. Check photographer Lindsay Adler on YouTube as she does some good stuff on posing models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I find this site fascinating as it shows both the pose and the lighting used to get that picture.

http://strobox.com/photos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I find this site fascinating as it shows both the pose and the lighting used to get that picture.

http://strobox.com/photos

Advertisement