Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Wolfcraft Mastercut 2000 saw table sought

Options
  • 11-01-2016 7:40pm

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to woodworking and have inherited a lot my dad's tools (he was a carpenter for over 50 years)

While I've completed a few carpentry projects for some outdoor items such as our chicken coop, a few dog houses and some feeding stations for my wife's animal charity work, I'd like to try my hand at some more furniture related work.
    As this is mainly a hobby for me I've been looking at some of the video's online in relation to this subject.
    Apart from the traditional hand-tool approach a lot of the videos are based around table saw work.
    I was reading up on some table saw reviews, including some of the posts on here and the it looks like I'd need to spend roughly 500 euro on a decent one. I was also thinking of making my own table saw but for safety reasons I've decided to hold off on this approach.

While searching I found a video for saw table by Wolfcraft, the mastercut 2000, which allows you take your circular saw and attach it to the mastercut and become a "table saw". You can also attach your Jigsaw and router to the table, which I have and it also has a workbench area with clamps etc for sanding. I also need to build a bench, but I'm also a little short on space.
    As I have already have these tools I was thinking of looking at purchasing one rather than a table saw, but no one appears to stock them in Ireland and the Amazon UK price including shipping would be prohibitive at the moment. Apparently McQuillans can order one in for me, while not as expensive going the Amazon route it still would be a minimum of 350.

While it appears to have what I need I haven't found any reviews for it online and some of the earlier versions e.g. 1500 have mixed reviews. so I'd like to ask peoples opinion on here. Does anyone own one, or does anyone think its worth the money etc?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Not used that one but had another that worked the same way, tbh didn't like it but probably had an under powered saw in it. So really you are talking around €200 for the circular saw + the table to bolt it to.

If you can go a few quid more than €500 I can recommend the DeWalt DW745 which I bought recently https://my-tools.ie/products/dewalt-dw745-table-saw. I also got the stand which is a mixed blessing. The stand works well but takes up more room than the saw and it would be easy to make up a stand for it. The saw is reasonable portable/carryable without the stand.

The main thing I have against a lot of the cheaper bench saws is that Ireland is too wet and in a mostly unheated workshop condensation will just kill all the cheap sheet metal parts sooner or later with rust. The DeWalt is a cast aluminum table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

With a little experience you will find that life is too short to have to move tools around for every function.
    Nothing beats a dedicated tool that does what you want - reliably.
    A tablesaw with a crosscut facility will do 90% of your work but beware that there will always be that 'must have' tool.

Thanks folks for your opinions.

The circular saw I have was my dad's and I can't remember the serial right now but its a very good makita, jigsaw is a stanley fat max also my dads, was not his favorite but just the last one he bought after some git stole his bosche one along with his van.
    Router is mine and its an Aldi job, but as I'm only starting out and a diy/hobiest it does the job.

I was a little put off by the fact that the work top for clamping etc is MDF as my shed is indeed unheated and can as per the course for cavity block walls be a little damp and I'm wondering about it swelling and perhaps messing up the rails for the fence.

I might look into a table saw as ye suggest, but space is an issue so it was the fact that this can be folded up and stored if needed that was drawing me to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Space isn't too much of an issue with the DeWalt once its off its stand and its designed to be carried around on a building site. I keep the stand in an open barn where I use the saw a lot and the saw itself when not in use stored on end under my work bench.

Advertisement