Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alright guys, help me get shoes!

Options
  • 11-01-2016 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭

I'm at my wit's end. Or my feet are at least. I can't get shoes I like. Anywhere. I've looked in most of the shops in town, and while there are plenty of shoes I like in certain shops, they are €200 - €300.

All I want is a simple pair of Oxfords. Brogues. Either burgundy or dark brown. And I can't find them anywhere.

I'm even looking online, though I'd rather try shoes on first (however Meermin shoes are looking pretty good right now).

So does anyone have any recommendation for decent, classic shoes in Dublin for about €100 - €150?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

I think Meermin will be your best bet... but that's based on what I have read rather than personal experience! For that price point, the alternatives on the high street are the usual suspects such as Clarks, M&S and Aldo. Charles Tyrwhitt also sells welted shoes at reasonable prices but cannot vouch for their quality.... and think style-wise that Meermin have more to offer. If you do go with Meermin, circle back with your feedback please... am planning on pulling the trigger in the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

As far as I know, Charles Tyrwhitt shoes are rebadged Loakes so the quality should be good. Might be worth a look. They have a very generous 3 month return policy and customer service is extremely good. No experience of their shoes but I have several shirts and jumpers from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Thanks, I checked out the Tyrwhitt shoes and there was nothing in my prize range and size.

M&S have nothing I like - they used to, and I have two pairs of M&S shoes at the moment, but the Grafton Street branch for one has a very poor selection. I haven't been to the other shops but from looking online there doesn't seem to be much.

Aldo - nothing in store, there was a nice pair online but they don't deliver to Ireland, and the store won't order them in.

Clarks - again, nothing in store. A lot of their shoes are very "clunky" or have big padded soles, and that's not what I'm looking for.

This is the problem. I even went into River Island in the hopes that they'd have something, but all they do is the pointy / "this is my first job" Office style shoes (I was in Office as well - nada).

I'm sure I'd have more choice if I wasn't a size 12, but there you go! I might just have to save my pennies and go for a €200+ pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

What about a Ted Baker?

JayReale wrote: »
    What about a Ted Baker?

Thanks; I had a look on their website and there's nothing in the style I'm looking for. Their Oxfords are a bit too clunky looking for my tastes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Have you looked into Allen Edmonds its an American company and their shoes are good year welted and they seem to have a good range. I've heard good things about them but don't have a pair myself. I don't know about getting them shipped to Ireland though I'm sure they have no problem shipping them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Have you looked into Allen Edmonds its an American company and their shoes are good year welted and they seem to have a good range. I've heard good things about them but don't have a pair myself. I don't know about getting them shipped to Ireland though I'm sure they have no problem shipping them.

They do 'seconds' also that a lot of guys on Reddit and Styleforum pick up as a cheaper alternative to full price shoes. Might be tricky with import duty etc. though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Lloyd? They are hardly worse than m&s once you avoid square toes. I saw them in quite a few independent shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Another vote for Meermin's Classic range if you're willing to go to 180 (including delivery) and online vs B&M. I've three pairs of them (in black, dark brown and burgundy) and two different lasts and would recommend them highly for shoes in that price range.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll check out Lloyd and Allen Edmonds.

I reckon Meermin is what I'll end up with, but can I ask relating to their shoes, what kind of fit are they, would they be like an F or wider / narrower? Is the leather soft or stiff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll check out Lloyd and Allen Edmonds.

I reckon Meermin is what I'll end up with, but can I ask relating to their shoes, what kind of fit are they, would they be like an F or wider / narrower? Is the leather soft or stiff?

Depends on the last. The ones I have are on the Elton and Olfe last. Elton is a fairly snug F for me (it's got a slight chisel toe). Olfe is a regular F for me (comparing to Loake 1880 or Barker). I don't have the Hiro last but I believe it would be wider than those two.

Leather would be more supple than any Loake's or Barker's in that price range I have but below say C&J Main Collection or Carmina, which obviously are far more expensive (and which I've only touched, rather than purchased the latter two :( )

If you go to the site, most of the shoes have the length/width measurements in the details, which may help your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

What about a pair of jeffery wests ?. Epic shoes all round. My Office wear shoes as they are so flash have been complimented countless times over them. I am in luck my feet are very small only a size 8 so i can pick up the ends of all the sales as very few guys have small feet like me.

People do be wondering how the **** am i 6ft tall with size 8 feet and tiny hands ? ha ha

What about a pair of jeffery wests ?. Epic shoes all round. My Office wear shoes as they are so flash have been complimented countless times over them. I am in luck my feet are very small only a size 8 so i can pick up the ends of all the sales as very few guys have small feet like me.

People do be wondering how the **** am i 6ft tall with size 8 feet and tiny hands ? ha ha

Thanks, not really into that style though. Too pricey as well. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Thanks, not really into that style though. Too pricey as well. :(

I am more into the loader style myself where things have to stand out. I paid 140 each for my pairs witch isn't that bad i found as i find that i look after my shoes once i pay more for them.

Would you look at kurt geiger shoes ?. I have 2 pairs of Chelsea boots from them and they have wearied really well.

^ Checked out some Kurt Geiger. Some nice ones there. The ones I liked were £280. :(

Anyone got any experience with them? They look a bit narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 silvercrown

Hi, I've never bought shoes from Kurt Geiger, but have tried on their shoes before and find that their shoes do run small-at least half a size most of the time.

Have you looked at Office? They sell online as well and I've bought a pair of leather brogues from their own brand before. They also have brands like Hudson and Poste that do leather oxfords and brogues

Hi, I've never bought shoes from Kurt Geiger, but have tried on their shoes before and find that their shoes do run small-at least half a size most of the time.

Have you looked at Office? They sell online as well and I've bought a pair of leather brogues from their own brand before. They also have brands like Hudson and Poste that do leather oxfords and brogues

I've looked in Office on Grafton Street, and there was nothing in the colour I wanted. Plus they were all that pointy toe / toe turned up horrible style that you see so many guys wearing.

Advertisement