Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost property and missed flight Saturday morning

Options
  • 11-01-2016 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Basically, I had a flight early Saturday morning, Dublin Airport. Arrived at the airport about an hour before the flight was due to depart.

Entered security check as normal, putting my bag, phones, tablet and watch into the grey tray. Took my belongings, and walked about 5 feet, realized I didn't have my watch. Walked back and explained that I didn't have my watch, he had a look, couldn't find it.

He said he'll go find a supervisor, who again looked everywhere, couldnt find it. I made it aware to him that I need to catch a flight.

He sent another guy to take my details, but firstly he decided to look too, and look in areas I hadn't even been(I made it clear what security lane I was checked at). Nwo the problem was that I didnt know this guys name, he was on the other side on the security lanes, and I couldnt call him(this was my biggest delay). He eventually came over, I gave my details, and ran to the gate.

I missed the flight. Had to re-book the next flight(costing 4 times at much as the missed flight).

Would it be unreasonable, after losing my property and missing a flight, reimbursement for both?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,706 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its in the word 'Lost'

I.e. you lost it, why would you expect reimbursement ?

Another passenger may have taken it out of the box.

I dont see how in this circumstance you are looking for reimbursement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

listermint wrote: »
    Its in the word 'Lost'

I.e. you lost it, why would you expect reimbursement ?

Another passenger may have taken it out of the box.

I dont see how in this circumstance you are looking for reimbursement.

Well, I didn't lose it, it went missing. Last place it was seen, was in the grey tray. My property is in the hands of security, and they are responsibly for it. I wouldn't have lost it, if I never had to take it off.

If another passenger took it from the box, then it was stolen, while in the possession of airport security.

I would imagine it's your loss. The time to alert staff was when you were retrieving your possessions.
    Another point is the fact that you missed your flight. How long did the searches take? Had you left yourself enough time for emergencies?

I was 5 feet away from where belongings come out, and realized it was "missing". They delayed me over 30 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Short answer, you're not entitled to be reimbursed for the missed flight. Everything would be covered in the T&C's of you ticket. It's your responsibility to give yourself time for any unforeseen delays. Based on the above information you must have arrived at the airport ~60mins prior to departure which is cutting it fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,366 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should be able to see on CCTV what happened to it, could be another passenger took it.

It's best when going through airport security to throw everything except your laptop/tablet in to one bag, reduces the risk of anything going missing from either it coming apart from the others or from another person stealing them.

Senecio wrote: »
    Short answer, you're not entitled to be reimbursed for the missed flight. Everything would be covered in the T&C's of you ticket. It's your responsibility to give yourself time for any unforeseen delays. Based on the above information you must have arrived at the airport ~60mins prior to departure which is cutting it fine.

No, I wouldnt be expecting a reimbursement from Ryanair for a missed flight, I would be expecting something from DAA. I was in the airport at least 60 minutes before departure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    No, I wouldnt be expecting a reimbursement from Ryanair for a missed flight, I would be expecting something from DAA. I was in the airport at least 60 minutes before departure.

I'm fairly certain that DAA's T&C's will also cover missed flights. They will accept no responsibility.

Senecio wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that DAA's T&C's will also cover missed flights. They will accept no responsibility.

Even if they are responsible? Plus, I wasn't aware of DAA T&C's, as I have no contract with them, only Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The area would be covered by CCTV. You would have to find a willing Garda to do some leg work into getting the CCTV and seeing who nicked it.

If someone pocketed the watch it would be that person who you would need to sue for missing your flight. Do you have home insurance or travel insurance, This might be covered by both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

afatbollix wrote: »
    The area would be covered by CCTV. You would have to find a willing Garda to do some leg work into getting the CCTV and seeing who nicked it.

If someone pocketed the watch it would be that person who you would need to sue for missing your flight. Do you have home insurance or travel insurance, This might be covered by both.

And even if they did find somebody on camera putting the watch in their pocket or bag, what's the chances of finding it ever again. That person could have been returning home from holiday and may never set foot in Ireland again. It's a shame the watch is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Firstly, arriving 60 minutes before your flight is cutting it way too tight, as was perfectly demonstrated by your experience.

Secondly, learn to look after your property a bit better. Always put things like phones, wallets, watches etc in a bag, not loose in the tray.

Learn from your experience for the next time you travel, instead of trying to make out that it's everyone else's responsibility and not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Even if they are responsible? Plus, I wasn't aware of DAA T&C's, as I have no contract with them, only Ryanair.

Why are the DAA responsible ? You haven't established what happened to the watch at all so how can you claim it is their fault ?

You say they checked everywhere... did that include the actual X-Ray tunnel itself ? small lightish items can fall out of trays say if placed on top of a jacket or something.

There is a possibility it was lifted by another passenger or has subsequently turned up somewhere. Either way if the watch meant that much I'd be contacting the lost and found up there and the airport police. They should be able to check the cctv and if they can see if it was nicked, it should be easy enough to find the identity of the person.

You seem more bothered about being reimbursed by someone for you missing the flight however. Not going to happen.. maybe an outside chance if you can establish blame by actually finding out what happened to the watch.. One hour is cutting it extremely fine especially for a Ryanair flight down at the 100 gates. You left really no time for the likes of this or any other delay.

Firstly, arriving 60 minutes before your flight is cutting it way too tight, as was perfectly demonstrated by your experience.

Secondly, learn to look after your property a bit better. Always put things like phones, wallets, watches etc in a bag, not loose in the tray.

Learn from your experience for the next time you travel, instead of trying to make out that it's everyone else's responsibility and not yours.

Really, I've traveled every 4-6 weeks for the last 3 years, and have never missed a flight, from Ireland and other countries. I wasn't the cause of my own delay, as security delayed me. Infact, my experience is only what I tell you, but you are entitled to your option.

Secondly, I've had that watch for 15 years, so for me not to take care of my property is a bit much, considering when I didn't have it, it went missing. It should be safe that "security" have it, and it should be safe.

My experience up to Saturday with travelling, has been impeccable.

Stating that it was my fault my watch went missing, when it wasn't in my possession is not true. Stating that I missed the flight, being my fault because I delayed myself, is also not true.

I will put my hands up to making mistakes if I make them, if they are obvious mistakes. But I wont be claiming responsibility for actions that were out of my hands.

Strumms wrote: »
    Why are the DAA responsible ? You haven't established what happened to the watch at all so how can you claim it is their fault ?

You say they checked everywhere... did that include the actual X-Ray tunnel itself ? small lightish items can fall out of trays say if placed on top of a jacket or something.

There is a possibility it was lifted by another passenger or has subsequently turned up somewhere. Either way if the watch meant that much I'd be contacting the lost and found up there and the airport police. They should be able to check the cctv and if they can see if it was nicked, it should be easy enough to find the identity of the person.

You seem more bothered about being reimbursed by someone for you missing the flight however. Not going to happen.. maybe an outside chance if you can establish blame by actually finding out what happened to the watch.. One hour is cutting it extremely fine especially for a Ryanair flight down at the 100 gates. You left really no time for the likes of this or any other delay.

DAA security had the watch in their possession when it went missing.

Perhaps it turns up.

One hour is not cutting it fine, one can easily make it to the last 100 gate in at least 10 minutes upon leaving security check-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Perhaps it turns up.

One hour is not cutting it fine, one can easily make it to the last 100 gate in at least 10 minutes upon leaving security check-in.

DAA security ? No such thing. The people who you dealt with were the ASU's (Airport Search Unit) .They screen you and your possessions they are not security guards.

They did not have technical possession of your watch and are unlikely to have touched it. You (presumably) submitted it willingly for screening by placing it in the tray to be screened to comply with the relevant aviation security regs.

One hour is cutting it fine, you just proved it yourself. Because you have successfully taken this option of showing up an hour before the flight and not missed one before is neither here nor there. I could break 30 red lights in my car and not end up in an accident but maybe the 31st time.... !

Strumms wrote: »
    I could break 30 red lights in my car and not end up in an accident but maybe the 31st time.... !

It's not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mbshrekito

A couple of things,

Have you formally reported the item as missing? Did you do that with a reasonable time? I think most insurance companies suggest 24/48 hours as reasonable unless you have mitigating circumstances?

You need to get a reference number and you may be covered by your travel insurance/home insurance if you have any which would be much simpler than trying to sue whoever you may think is responsible.

I think short of issuing receipts for everything at the security checkpoints - proving that an item went missing in security may be impossible.

Plus, if we had to declare all valuable items we would probably need to turn up several days before the flight with the delays that would cause at those checkpoints.

I generally put my valuables inside my carry-on bag - but I do worry about things getting stolen - I was robbed on arrival at Gatwick many years ago and the police/security refused to do anything including look at CCTV which they suggested didn't get recorded and I just had to report it to lost and found.

To add insult to injury my insurance policy was cancelled during the trip as they needed a signature - they returned the premium which was about 15% of the loss.

Hope it either turns up or your insurance cover it, but I'd say your chances of having a valid claim against the airport or security are nil!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I missed the flight. Had to re-book the next flight(costing 4 times at much as the missed flight).

Would it be unreasonable, after losing my property and missing a flight, reimbursement for both?

its your responsibility to make the flight on time, so you have no claims to stand on unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I don't see that daa have any liability here for the watch or the missed flights. Its unfortunate that you didn't realise it immediately, but that happens especially when you're rushing.

Its the same as leaving your phone in a pub - if you go back and someone has taken it, its not the pubs fault.

Always a chance that its been handed in - I'd phone the Airport Police (01 8144300) not Garda and explain what happened. They can check CCTV and also hold lost property, but I wouldn't give them grief over the missed flight as nothing to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Perhaps it turns up.

-Was the watch in a tray?
    -If yes, did you retrieve the tray?
    -Did you have other items in that tray?
    -If yes, did you take your other items from that tray?

Eponymous wrote: »
    -Was the watch in a tray?
    -If yes, did you retrieve the tray?
    -Did you have other items in that tray?
    -If yes, did you take your other items from that tray?

It was in the tray, when I put it in.
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

It was in the tray, when I put it in.
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes.
    Then you cannot assert that the watch was in their possession when it was lost. You may speculate of course, but I daresay you're not going to be satisfied with any opinion which doesn't support your own.

If you have travel insurance that may well cover it, however the insurer may well assert that you left your valuables out of your sight and not secured.

Personally, I prefer not to go through the detection gate until my tray has reached the scanner if I've left my tablet or laptop out for all to see. Everything else (wallet, watch, coins) goes into a pocket in my bag for easy retrieval when I get the bag back, rather than leaving everything loose in the tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

The way I see it, you said you walked away from the security screening area, be it only 5 feet, before you noticed it missing! Therefore I find it hard to blame DAA! If it came out of the X-ray machine down the rollers and was missing then you might have a case!
    The fact you walked away means anyone could have picked it up!
    Very hard to pin it on the DAA!

Advertisement