Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The film career of David Bowie

Options
  • 11-01-2016 11:57am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭

In the coming days, we'll be hearing a lot of David Bowie music - as we damn well should be. But it's also IMO worth reflecting for a while on the unsurprisingly weird and wonderful cinematic career of the man.

Martin Scorsese, Nagisa Oshima, Jim Henson, Nicolas Roeg, John Landis, Christopher Nolan, Julian Schnabel, Tony Scott, David Lynch - a random grab-bag of some of the most influential and successful directors of their respective eras, but also a sample of the sort of diverse, idiosyncratic talent Bowie collaborated with over the years.

It's probably not much of a stretch to suggest his most iconic contribution to cinema was a certain codpiece (and the lovingly eccentric performance that went along with it). But there's much more aside from that. He was occasionally gifted a leading role - has there ever been any better person to cast as an alien (I mean that in the nicest possible way)? - but was just as confident in scene-stealing supporting roles.

His unmistakable presence, for example, adds immensely to what I have long considered the quintessential Lynchian nightmare sequence (alongside the Lost Highway phone call). Would this scene be as effective if it wasn't David ****ing Bowie? Of course it ****ing wouldn't.

Some of his performances were ridiculous and OTT. Some felt like they were beamed in from a different world entirely. But isn't that pure Bowie?

None of this is going into the almost countless examples of his music being used in films. There's in excess of 400 entries listed on IMDB (TV inclusive, of course), but here's just one recent delightful example:

Play Bowie's music loud and repeatedly over the coming days. But if you're looking for something to watch over the coming days, well there's some real treats over on this here IMDB page...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

He was excellent in The Prestige IMO. Very understated performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

And Lynch used Bowie's "I'm Deranged" to great effect in Lost Highway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

I quite liked his appearance as the adult buy in the Snowman. It was a small part but he really added to the show overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Labyrinth is one of the highlights of my childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Labyrinth is one of the highlights of my childhood.

Im sure I wasn't the only child who was freaked out by that movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Absolutely love "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence". Great prison drama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Always loved the use of Under Pressure in Grosse Point Blank

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

The Hunger was great - a lesbian vampire movie where we get to see Susan Sarandon's tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

There's an episode of Ricky Gervais's "Extras" series where Gervais's character is delighted to get a plum role in a play directed by Ian McKellen...until he discovers that it's a gay love story. There follows a montage of scenes where Gervais and the cast are rehearsing the play, with "Boys Keep Swinging" playing over the scenes.

Bowie himself appeared in a brilliant cameo in the same series, where he ends up totally humiliating Gervais's character in a nightclub, performing a song at the piano ridiculing Gervais for being a "stupid little fat man" in that classic Bowie style.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No mention of the zoolander cameo yet? :eek:

"Perhaps I can be of assistance..."
    *LETS DANCE*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I re-watched Labyrinth recently and thought it held up well. Most actors would have looked ridiculous surrounded by all those puppets, but Bowie pulls it off. He also had a nice (if brief) turn as a vampire alongside Catherine Deneuve in Tony Scott's oft-forgotten The Hunger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence! I watched it again recently. I am not a film or foreign film aficionado but I loved it, easily one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

He wasn't in it far as i know, but his music is all over The Life Aquatic...Wes Anderson's most underrated film imo and the music plays a large part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

They were playing Bowie songs in the foyer of The Lighthouse today which I thought was very nice. Then I saw this fantastic gesture too:

https://twitter.com/LightHouseD7/status/686604248440770561

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Got tickets to see Labyrinth.......never thought I feel sad saying that.

Advertisement