Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PNY NVIDIA GTX 960 Question

Options
  • 11-01-2016 2:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

Hello folks.

I have a dell xps 630i desktop computer
    700w power supply sli ATX board with 2 6-pin molex connectors

It's a while since I upgraded my graphics card of which is a geforce GTX-9800+ 512mb very old card. I was thinking of upgrading to this card below but I noticed it has only one 6-pin molex connection.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/pny-nvidia-gtx-960-1127mhz-7000mhz-gddr5-2gb-gf960gtx2gepb-B5LR.html?src=3

I was wondering will just one of my 6-pin molex power dongles be enough to power this card or will i need to purchase a 2-6-pin to 1 6-pin adapter for the amps ?.

Like i said it's a while since i upgraded so was just wondering about the connectivity i will need to setup for this card to work properly. I can't see one 6-pin molex being enough to power it. I was just watching a youtube video on this card and it seems that you just use 1 6-pin molex for the card, I'm surprised that only one molex is enough to power it, this is why I'm curious as to this.

Thanks

Bong.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The main issue is probably your CPU, if its a 9800GTX era machine, it's probably a socket 775 machine - there isn't any point getting a GTX960 for such a machine as it would be massively bottlenecked.

For example say you had a Q6600....a GTX960 can get 60fps in Battlefield 4, but with such a processor you would be stuck at about 20fps (with bad dips).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

That's the thing as well. I have a Q6600 cpu overclocked from 2.4ghz to 3ghz. Thanks for the info. I don't want any bottle-necks. I'll have to look into purchasing an ATX mobo with capability for a core i5/i7. On a budget so will have to shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sadly, the day of the Q6600 is long over for playing the latest AAA titles (though some, like say Dirt Rally, would maybe be actually OK if it was OC'd).

You would need a new board/ram/processor before looking at a new card, though unfortunately the case may require some modding to be compatiable, it will take normal ATX boards but the front panel connector may not be standard (power/reset/led/etc)

Your power supply would power the card fine though with the one connector, cards are much more power efficient these days.

What games are you looking to play? At 3Ghz, a Q6600 would get by with some new titles with a decent card pretty OK - but stuff like Battlefield, Battlefront, Black Ops 3, Fallout 4 etc would be out of the picture.

Depending on the games an upgrade to a E110 GTX750 might tide you over for another while.

Overall, a whole new PC is on the cards really rather than just parts. Case, board, power supply, processor, graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Very informative post, thanks. Well I can't upgrade to all new hardware components just yet so that will have to wait. I don't play first-person shooters like the ones you mention and I have been out of the loop in regards to playing games for a few years so under the circumstances I think I will just purchase the E110 GTX750 as it is a lot cheaper as well and it will give me plenty of time for when i can upgrade to a new system.

I have missed many older games over the years so that card should be fine for them. Thanks again for the good information.

Bong.

Advertisement