Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAW files from wedding?

Options
  • 11-01-2016 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I was wondering if wedding photographers would consider providing an sd card of unedited raw files from a wedding shoot rather than edited images? I know my way around lightroom and photoshop, and would like to edit our own wedding pics, but im not sure if this is even a thing.
    Thanks
    Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Its definitely not the norm but if you found a photographer willing to do it you may end up saving yourself a few quid as the editing tends to be the most time consuming part (at least if if somebodies putting the time in and doing it properly).

The only thing Id say is don't be surprised or offended if the photographer asks not to be credited or associated with the shots. That's certainly how I'd respond if I was asked. Its not any reflection of your post processing skills but it means that a large portion of how the images will look was not done by the photographer and not representative of the work they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Hmm, I think only those on the low end or entry level would consider giving RAW files straight from the camera. I really doubt any established photographer would do this. You could play with supplied and edited jpg files but obviously won't have as much elbow room as with RAW, you have also to consider copyright and licensing issues as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

Splinters wrote: »
    The only thing Id say is don't be surprised or offended if the photographer asks not to be credited or associated with the shots.

TBH this was what i was thinking too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It is possible if negotiated up front. I have done this for am event where I was involved. The photographer available did have a good eye and the images were well composed and exposed. Where the images were lacking was in the post production. I made the request and it was OK. In the end I showed some images that they had taken and was asked to help in improving their workflow.

You just need to ask to find someone who will work that way but it is feasible. You could even find someone here who may do that. Feel free to add an entry on the Services Wanted/Offered thread which is sticky at the top of this forum (the rules are in the OP)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I would imagine that most photographers would be quite guarded about their raw images. An unedited raw file lacks even the most basic editing such as contrast, sharpening, saturation ect and would not what the photographer intended to be the final image.
    You may have more luck if ask for them alongside the edited images or just asked for the photographers picks, ie the ones the photographer would have selected for editing and delivery, the picture of Aunt Mary mid sneeze won’t be flattering to her or the photographer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Synchronicity

The idea of someone rooting through my RAWs gives me the heebie-jeebies. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The idea of someone rooting through my RAWs gives me the heebie-jeebies. :eek:

Same, I don't even like it when people ask me, oh can I have a look through the photos on the camera. I don't do much culling as I shoot so there's usually a fair amount of photos that are only good for the bin on there. My end result is always good but nope, no way I'm letting anyone see/edit my RAW files :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I personally would have no problem with it - once that was what was negotiated at the time. I suspect anyone who knew their way around LR/PS and was willing to edit their own wedding would do a half decent job of it. Copyright would still remain with the photographer and presumably could use the images as part of their portfolio.
    I'm actually toying with the idea of giving couples all their images (including RAW) after we've done the albums, discs etc. That way we don't have to worry about long term storage of the images after the weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Likewise I'd have no issue with this if it was agreed at the time. Any wedding I've shot has taken a considerable amount more time to edit then to shoot. Obviously I wouldnt be including that work in my portfolio if the end result was processed by somebody other then myself but if the client is happy to take responsibility for the processing then I think thats fair enough.

• Advertisement

I personally would have no problem with it - once that was what was negotiated at the time. I suspect anyone who knew their way around LR/PS and was willing to edit their own wedding would do a half decent job of it. Copyright would still remain with the photographer and presumably could use the images as part of their portfolio.
    I'm actually toying with the idea of giving couples all their images (including RAW) after we've done the albums, discs etc. That way we don't have to worry about long term storage of the images after the weddings.

Amazon unlimited cloud storage (for photos) is $12 a year. You'll never have to worry about long term storage of your images again. Or you can use Amazon Glacier, that's even cheaper as it is an archive service as opposed to an 'instant access' service. Another option is unlimited photo storage with SmugMug for about $40 a year. It gives you a lot of nice features that Amazon don't to share galleries with specific people (e.g. your clients). SmugMug don't support RAW though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Bacchus wrote: »
    Amazon unlimited cloud storage (for photos) is $12 a year. You'll never have to worry about long term storage of your images again. Or you can use Amazon Glacier, that's even cheaper as it is an archive service as opposed to an 'instant access' service. Another option is unlimited photo storage with SmugMug for about $40 a year. It gives you a lot of nice features that Amazon don't to share galleries with specific people (e.g. your clients). SmugMug don't support RAW though.

By worry I didn't mean the physical worry of storage, I meant the responsibility of it. If I hand over the RAW files too, it means the couple have to worry about losing them, not us. I already have unlimited jpeg storage with Zenfolio and I can pay for RAW if I want. I signed up for Amazon but the uploading feature confused me. Seems you either have to write your own code or get a third party app.

By worry I didn't mean the physical worry of storage, I meant the responsibility of it. If I hand over the RAW files too, it means the couple have to worry about losing them, not us. I already have unlimited jpeg storage with Zenfolio and I can pay for RAW if I want. I signed up for Amazon but the uploading feature confused me. Seems you either have to write your own code or get a third party app.

With cloud backup though the worry of responsibility is virtually (no pun intended) removed. It just sits there in a vault. Granted it's in an account that you have to keep paying for but the cost is minimal.

Some AWS services involve a bit of tech know-how alright but the Amazon (.com) cloud photo storage service is an easy drag and drop web service. I was using it but I wanted something that allowed me more control over controlling access to the galleries. Even the Amazon S3 service is quite easy to use, just drag an drop and it's $0.007 per Gb if you use the Glacier storage. Perfect for RAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

I suspect anyone who knew their way around LR/PS and was willing to edit their own wedding would do a half decent job of it.

Agree with this bit... theyd sort of have a vested interest in the images looking well. Maybe not to the style/liking of the photographer but each to rheir own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

At the end of the day it's a business transaction. You are going about it the correct way and stating what you require up front. If the supplier finds this acceptable and you agree then both parties are satisfied. Some may not like the idea and then no agreement will occur.

It would be a different matter if after the wedding had occurred you then wanted to obtain the RAW files. That could become unpleasant, so you are best to negotiate these terms now. As I said above you are free to post a request for someone to do this in the Services Thread if you wish to do so. It is not allowed make requests or offers in the general forum.

Advertisement