Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-using windows product key

Options
  • 10-01-2016 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

So if I'm building a PC and don't want to pay 100+ for Windows 10, how can I install Windows without buying a new version. I have a windows 7 product key from another PC in my house if that can help in any way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

If it's an OEM copy you can't. If it's a retail/bought copy you should be able to phone up and talk nicely to the people in India and get it activated.

Win10 can be installed without a key and I'm pretty sure you can still sign up to the insider program to stop it bugging you about activation.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

I thought the availability of windows 10 from the insider program ended when the main version was released in July?

tadcan wrote: »
    I thought the availability of windows 10 from the insider program ended when the main version was released in July?

Dunno haven't tried joining it recently but my laptop is happily bombing away with it and you can still join so...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

I've a similar question. If I have a retail copy of windows 7 and I updated it to windows 10 can I use the windows 7 retail product key to install on a new build and possibly update that to windows 10 later also if I want? If I can and I do go to use this product key do I still need to ring Microsoft to get it activated or would updating to win 10 deactivate the win 7 key?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

fran426ft wrote: »
    I've a similar question. If I have a retail copy of windows 7 and I updated it to windows 10 can I use the windows 7 retail product key to install on a new build and possibly update that to windows 10 later also if I want? If I can and I do go to use this product key do I still need to ring Microsoft to get it activated or would updating to win 10 deactivate the win 7 key?

No, upgrading to W10 "consumes" the W7 key and binds it to the motherboard the upgrade was performed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Corkman64

Can I just download Windows 10 onto a usb using the media creation tool and use that to install windows on the new pc with no os

Corkman64 wrote: »
    Can I just download Windows 10 onto a usb using the media creation tool and use that to install windows on the new pc with no os

Yep

Advertisement