Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt on 06 Fiesta

Options
  • 10-01-2016 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I have a 06 fiesta with just over 50,000 miles. Should the timing belt be changed? Looking online it seems to say 100,000 miles or 10 years. It is 10 years this year but the milage is almost half!
    Also any ideas on roughly how much it would cost to change? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Its actually 8 years now so yes you need to get it done asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

As above, and do make sure you get the complete timing kit changed and not just the belt, I still see examples of cars where only the belt was changed and not the tensioners/guides and the resultant damage done when one of these components fails, all to save a few coppers at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Firstly, don't mind the 100k, 10 years.Thats ridiculous, anyway its the time period OR the mileage, whichever comes first.My W/manual (albet 02-05) says 50k/5 years even says so.

I noticed that the management light was coming on, and it came up as the crank sensor, but when the belt was changed, no more light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Goose81

darraghm92 wrote: »
    I have a 06 fiesta with just over 50,000 miles. Should the timing belt be changed? Looking online it seems to say 100,000 miles or 10 years. It is 10 years this year but the milage is almost half!
    Also any ideas on roughly how much it would cost to change? Thanks!

Look I would ask a mechanic to check the condition of the belt. You have only done half the miles that It says you should change it at, they say 10 years because the belt may have perished over time. A mechanic should be able to tell you based on a visual inspection I would imagine. I know I wouldn't be changing it if it was my car based on the age of the belt only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

A visual inspection of the belt is pretty pointless. Just get it changed. To change the kit plus alternator belt will cost €250 or so in an independent garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Goose81

A visual inspection of the belt is pretty pointless. Just get it changed. To change the kit plus alternator belt will cost €250 or so in an independent garage.

Ah thought it would be more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ben9195

If it was my car I would get it done ASAP. Not worth tempting fate. Better to spend around 350 euros now than end up with a knackered engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Do it, OP. I played that game with a fiesta once, I'm sure I posted up my experience (trauma) here at the time. That was a 03 that I'd be very surprised to learn if it was still on the road :(

• Registered Users Posts: 42 darraghm92

Thanks for the replies. I got a quote from a ford garage in cork for 425 with water pump change also - seems very expensive. I might try some independent garages

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

darraghm92 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I got a quote from a ford garage in cork for 425 with water pump change also - seems very expensive. I might try some independent garages

You could try Howlett Autos outside New Ross, if that's not too far away from you?

I've no connection with them, just a happy customer. I had my timing belt and water pump changed by them and it cost €200 less than anywhere else I enquired. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement