Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value for money android phone

Options
  • 09-01-2016 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

My old samsung galaxy s3 died few weeks back and I am in the process if looking for a new one. I dont change my phone frequently so dont mind spending on it if its going to service me for 2-3years without issues. I have had a windows phone to work interim and I really want to go back to android.So far I have looked at Galaxy s6, one plus 2, lg g4 in the higher range option and moto g 3rd gen , redmi note 3 and one plus x on a slightly lower side. I appreciate I have given a huge range of prices from 200 to 450 euros but I wanted to get a better idea of which one is more value for money in other peoples opinion. I use a tesco mobile sim so again not sure if one plus will work on it.
    If I am aiming for s6, will I be better off holding for another month in case s7 releases and the price goes down for s6?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Lenovo ZUK Z1. Got one for the GF. Just as good as my HTC One M9 IMO. 290 euro shipped from Europe. Huge battery, 5.5 " scree, reputable brand name, that new reversible charger, looks and feels nice, finger print scanner, 64gb storage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Sony Xperia. The best money can buy, in my humble opinion. Have a look at the M4 Aqua or E4g models.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

If you want value for money you want the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. If you are looking at a S6 then you aren't looking at value for money. However, if you aren't going to change your phone for another 2-3 years and don't mind forking out a bit more than the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 then I think you should look at a Nexus, either the Nexus 5X or Nexus 6P depending on what you want. They will get OS updates a lot longer than most phones and as such will stay current.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chryan

Ah, the nexus is very tempting! If only the prices of these phones were not so ridiculously high! Thanks everyone though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Chryan wrote: »
    Ah, the nexus is very tempting! If only the prices of these phones were not so ridiculously high! Thanks everyone though.

I see the Nexus phones are reduced at the moment.

Have you pulled the trigger?

Please tell us what you have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Choosing a phone is similar in some ways to choosing a car, it depends what you're using it for! You wouldn't buy a Lotus as a family car, yet for a single person, a Lotus might be perfect.
    So when asking for advice, list out what features are a priority for YOU, value for money can only be achieved if it does everything you want it to do.

Value for money? Nothing over €500 would be value for money in my opinion but if i used for phone for gaming/music, then i can understand someone paying over that amount for the best Qualcomm Snapdragon silicon chip and inbuilt phone speakers. You would be looking at Sony Xperia Z5, HTC M9, Samsung S6, LG G4 and Blackberry Priv.

For most people, they want a phone to be a phone, and for the occasional browsing, so a mid-range Qualcomm Snapdragon/MediaTek/Intel silicon chip with adequate inbuilt speakers is fine. So, a Xaomi Mi4, Huawei Mate7 or Motorola X Style would be fine.

But always list your preferences in terms of battery resilience, screen resolution, processor speed (Mhz), heavy or light user interface, height/width, sd card available, hdmi out available, wireless charging,NFC, camera in low light environment, speakers for music/phone conversation, whether it supports the 800Mhz 4G band, reliability in terms of android updates, good customer service/support, availability of screen/battery replacements etc. I could go on, but you get the message. You list YOUR preferences, and then people can tell you what phone(s) meet those preferences at the lowest price - that is value for money!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've just put an order in for the Redmi note 3 Pro. Seems to be a nice, balanced phone and somewhat of a rarity, has a big battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Ultra 6. Fantastic phone. €170

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You can get bargains. I wanted a Nexus 5 & they were around €350. I found a new boxed one on ebay & got it for €240.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement