Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best way to learn a language tips ?

Options
  • 09-01-2016 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi just wondering can anyone recommend any tips on learning a new language , partly fluent in French but not really into that language would love to learn German and Chinese bit can anyone recommend any apps or ways to learn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Hi just wondering can anyone recommend any tips on learning a new language , partly fluent in French but not really into that language would love to learn German and Chinese bit can anyone recommend any apps or ways to learn

For Chinese I would recommend busuu.com and yoyochinese.com

Busuu for vocabulary and yoyo to help with pronunciation and listening comprehension.

Both are subscription fee based but offer great value for money imho.....the only other tip I have is to use whatever amount of the language you have as often as possible. Living in Dublin and married to an Irish woman my only real chance to learn was to approach people whenever I heard them speak (on the street / in a supermarket etc). I would previously always say in English something like "oh I'm learning Chinese" and then ask a question or just say a few words and try to learn as much as possible.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

If you can sign up for lessons (try Goethe Inst for the German and I think UCD might have evening classes for Chinese) that's a positive start.

Pretty sure Memrise will have some German vocab lists. TuneIn.com has a bunch of radio stations and there are a lot of German TV programmes to be found on Youtube.

I also strongly recommend reading as soon as you have enough understanding of grammar to be able to work a dictionary effectively.

Cannot otherwise speak for Chinese as I have no experience on that front.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For German, I'd recommend Duolingo. It is both a website and an mobile app version.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Manach wrote: »
    For German, I'd recommend Duolingo. It is both a website and an mobile app version.

I've really been enjoying Duolingo. I've been reviving my french from school days and its been a lot easier than I thought it would be. I've always been a bit of a stubborn learner and duolingo does it in such a simple and subtle way its been very effective for me.

And its free. And available online and for most mobile devices

Advertisement