Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dissability and jobseekers

Options
  • 09-01-2016 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hello im new to all this,so apoligies if i get it wrong, just a question ,im married ,my husband is on jobseekers,im currently in process of applying for dissability allowance, iv searched everywhere and i cant figure out if ,he is on full jobseekers and im elligable for dissability do we both get seperate payments of 188 euro ,we have no other income or savings, or means,,Id appreciate genuine answers ,we are not layabouts or scroungers as i have seen many people been labelled in other queries,we both have worked hard just circumstances brought us here ,iv never claimed anything in my life ,and worked hard for 33 yrs 15 hour days ,6 days a week .just looking for a simple answer.
    thank you in advance .I ticked" seperate claim" on the form as advised by my social welfare officer.
    Also has the waiting time got any quicker ,its about 7 weeks since i applied.,Today i just recieved my personal documents back and a note saying they would be in touch shortly ,is this a hopfull sign ,does it take long after this ,any up to date info would be greatly appreciated as most threads iv read are a few yers old .Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Disability allowance is a means tested payment and as such €188for the claimant and €124 for a spouse.

See here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_allowance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marguerite2000

so there is no difference in my husband claiming for me as a qualified adult and me claiming dissability, wonder why people go through the hassle,? at the min we get a couples allowance,so effectivly its the same except for a bus pass and tv licience,i remember the social welfare lady saying you get more if you tick "seperate claim ",but from what ive read everywhere it seems you dont .but i also read if he has a full claim in his own right and the other person gets dissability allowance both get full payments ,so confusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

mp22 wrote: »
    Disability allowance is a means tested payment and as such €188for the claimant and €124 for a spouse.

See here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_allowance.html

This is incorrect.
    If you are successful in your application you will get 188 and your husband will get 188
    However you will be disqualified from the electricity allowance and free to licence unfortunately because of his JSA

If you or your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant qualifies for Disability Allowance and the other is getting another social welfare payment, you will each get the weekly personal rate of your respective payment.

If you actually take the time to read the document in the link, I have lifted this section from it.
    It's quite clear.

Thank you ,much appreciated ,this is what i took from it but wasnt sure .

[QUOTE=marguerite2000
    Also has the waiting time got any quicker ,its about 7 weeks since i applied.,Today i just recieved my personal documents back and a note saying they would be in touch shortly ,is this a hopfull sign ,does it take long after this ,any up to date info would be greatly appreciated as most threads iv read are a few yers old .Thank you[/QUOTE]

I wonder does anyone have an answer to the above question please.
    thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wonder does anyone have an answer to the above question please.
    thanks in advance

It can take up to 12 months and usually does after initial refusal and appeals

So 12 weeks exactly till i heard from them,Of course as expected i was refused ,so it says i can send in more documentation for review,i plan to write a letter ,my doctor also is going to write for me,but how do you go about getting all your medical reports,when my doctor filled my application form i asked her but she says they dont ask her for them which is what i thought at the time was how it worked,so there was none with my first application ,,i cant remember all the names of consultants ,i attended various ones,iv a shocking memory and am terrible at keeping paper work,and just moved in to a smaller place so dumped half my life to fit in to it,,will by doctor get them for me,,,,not sure how best to proceed ,iv read several people state that" not fit for work for 12 months " was hughly important to have your doctor write on the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Write a letter explaining how your illness effects your daily life ,from the time you wake up till bed time and explain if and how you need help from others and meds and so on ,
    As part of your appeals along with any documentary evidence from your gp explaining your condition and how it's going to last more than 12 months .

Sorry to hear about the refusal but don't give up if you genuinely can't work due to illness or injury

just writing my letter now ,seeing the doc in morning ,so start the waiting all over again .

Advertisement