Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falcons keeping fresh snacks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd go for the injured birds who escaped an initial attack option, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

I'd agree. Way too much risk of the prey being forgotten about, escaping or being taken by another predator after the expenditure of energy in catching.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Peregrine falcons definitely cache dead prey, and use them as larders for bad weather days or bad hunting days. Ive seen it myself.
    But immobilising and imprisoning live prey seems like a leap in imagination, I dont think that is what is happening here.
    It even assumes the falcons are clever/strategic enough to surgically remove the flight feathers of the catch only..

Besides, there isnt really anything to be gained by keeping cached items alive, from my own observation I would say falcons are happy enough to pick away at days old left overs when necessary.

Advertisement