Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Persons

Options
  • 08-01-2016 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭

Not sure this is the right place for a discussion on this, but there seems to be an unusually high number of Men who have gone missing in the past few weeks all over the country. Is this getting worse, or is it just with the more public searches that it seems like more people are taking their own lives.

Is there something that we should be trying to do to prevent some of these, or what could/should be done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

There does seem to be a lot, currently I see there is a guy missing close to where I work here in Limerick.

I guess it's a particularly bad time of the year for depression etc. The weather is gloomy but even more so, Christmas is a big issue. Some people that are isolated, lonely or depressed probably get hit hard at Christmas if they feel they are outside the whole partying, festivities, spending time with family and partners etc.

If you have lost a loved one or normally feel lonely, those feeling can unfortunately intensify at Christmas.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There does seem to be a lot, currently I see there is a guy missing close to where I work here in Limerick.

There was a body found near Castletroy this afternoon. Limerick Post are suggesting it could be one the men who is missing (the Polish athlete). Another guy missing since the week before Christmas.

To answer one of the OP's questions, I think part of it is the way Facebook, Twitter, and Boards can be used to spread the word rapidly around the country. Before, it may only have been known locally if someone had gone missing. Only people who might have been murdered or abducted would get media attention.

On the other hand? A buddy of mine cut all contact with us for a short while a few years back and we were getting very worried about him. No texts, nothing on Facebook or Bebo, no answer on his phone. Turned out he'd gone away with his best friend's girlfriend for the weekend and didn't want anyone to find out. :pac: If that happened today his name would be all over social media by nightfall of the second day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

An File wrote: »
    There was a body found near Castletroy this afternoon. Limerick Post are suggesting it could be one the men who is missing (the Polish athlete). Another guy missing since the week before Christmas.

That's the one.

Advertisement